Dumpy doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Oct 23, 2007.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, so it seems like my week isent the best lol. Now one of my does Geisha, my best doe I have is very dumpy. She seems a tad lathargic, she runs when I go to grab her and fights with me, but she just stands alone and dosent seem to have too much of an appetite, she nibbles. I had her in with Lola (the doe that aborted) and threw half a flake of hay in there, and this morning all of it was gone, she looks like she has been eating. No cough, no snotty nose, my thermometer broke, so I need to go buy a new one. Her cums looked a tad pale to me so I wormed her. i gave her nutridrench, and energy vit mineral paste that the vet gave me, and a shot of nuflor....... I know i should of had her temp before doing this but honestly i would rather be safe than sorry. They have just started their D.E.(natural wormer) and i am thinking that maybe she had too many worms and it is giving her an upset stomach. I also gave her vit B orally and a shot. I am stumped, poop is normal also. I am thinking she is just having a problem with worms. She has been dumpy for a bit now. Als she just came out of heat, and if I am correct, when I bred her last year she had me worrying like this too, can goats get morning sickness?? LOL any ideads are greatly appreciated!!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm sorry to hear you week was bad but if it helps mines not going much better

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    it just seems when ne thing happens everything happens... geez, I was also reading that she might have cocci, she does not have diarreah, but read that sometimes they dont in lder goats. WHat do you think? she has almost all the signs for it

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't think I can help here.

I think goats are here JUST to make us worry! :roll:

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Iwish I could help.

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I wish I could help too but I can't. Good luck

7. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I would start her on some Albon just to be safe.

8. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    ok went out and got her some redcell and gave her 2 cc's of it. She also had another shot of vit B and gave her some sulmet (same as Albon). I am so worried about her, I cannot loose her, I cannot stand to loose anymore animals! Is there ANYTHING else i can be doing for her?? If she is not acting better tomarrow I am gonna talk my husband into taking her to the vet, I am just toally stumped about this, she has me worried, I got home after dark and all the herd ran up to me but her, so i was afraid she was dead, I went looking for her and found her in the shed by herself sleeping, she got up and ran from me and fought me the entire time I tried giving her the redcell, but I dont like how she is off to herself, that worries me, it was too dark to check her gums as well. Please people we need prayers going on here, she is my favorite doe, she may not like people that much but man she is priceless to me. Thank you guys for your help, you dont know how much I appreciate it!!

9. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    this is so scary and sad.....i am hoping for a quick recovery for her. maybe the vet asap is a good idea as you have tried about everything there is to try. he could do blood work etc and maybe come up with something. my very best to you both.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, if it was me I would either take a fecal sample to the vet and let them tell you if you have Cocci going on, see if I could take her in. It is So important for everyone to have thermometer around. If a goat is off, the first thing that needs to be done it the temp. I have like 5 or 6. Please get one and take her temp. Even if anyone calls a vet for help, the first thing they are going to ask is "what is her temp?"
    I am sorry, I am NOT trying to sound like I am scolding you, I just want anyone else that is reading this know how important it is tho have a thermometer, and several if needed.
    It does sound like it could be cocci. Now I do not care what some people day, any goat can get cocci, it is NOT just for the babies. I had one with it and he was SO bad, that the Vet said to use the Chorid, and they also gave us some other meds to use with it. We had to give it orally 2Xday, it was a really thick blue stuff. Now some say NEVER use CHORID. I have ALWAYS used Chorid and I have yet to lose a goat.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

11. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    i guess i'd 'vote' for getting to the vet. cocci does not always show up in the fecal alone.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Cocci, always shows in the fecal. Matter of fact I believe that is the ONLY way they can be 100% sure. I helped a friend take her goats in and they tried to get a fecal sample to do a test, and the vet said they HAD to get some fecal to test it, and she was so dry that they had no real way to test her.but her son came with us and he was tested "fecal" and he was tested positive, so they new that was the problem. (they new that anyway, but they wanted to make sure). But I would also take her to the vet, because if they are bad enough, they might have to do a IV to rehydrate her. Is she drinking? Good Luck

13. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    perhap it is just different with dogs, then, for in dogs it does not always show up in a fecal. i am sure finding it there CONFIRMS a diagnosis; i am just not sure that if it is not there that that for sure means no cocci. :?

14. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok she is is much worse this morning, now she dosent get up when I walk up to her, she is just laying there, mouth is cold which really concerns me. I am gonna try t take her to the vet asap! Lets see what the husband has to say about it tho, I do beleive it is cocci, but I may be wrong, even thos she dosent have scours. Ok i will keep everyone posted.

15. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    If he doesn't let you take her, look at her eyelids, not just the gums. Get her in your house, yes in the house, and get towels and a heating pad on her. Get much more red cell down her. 2cc is nothing for an adult. Get at least 15 in the first dose. What wormer did you use before the Sulmet? How much did you give? How much does she weigh? You have to get a temp at this point. Her organs could be shutting down. Was she out in bad weather? With no scours, it could be barber poles. What has your weather been like?

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH dear, if her mouth is cold you have to warm her up FAST. If she is that cold, she is shutting down. She HAS to go to the Vet in order to save her at this point. Take some old towels, put them in the dryer, get the good and hot, and wrap them around her. Rub her all over to get that blood flowing. Will she drink some warm molasses water? Give her some Nutra Drench.

17. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Wow 15 ccs for a nigi, ok Ill go do that, her mouth is a bit warmer, and her eyelids are pretty pale, the weather has been nice, 70's-80's. I will give her some more red cell, I wormed her with Valbazen 4cc's cause she is about 40 lbs. We are contacting the vet now.

18. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    HELP!!!!

ok we cant get into the vet till 2:45. SO I gave her warm water and she is drinking sme of it, I think I hear gut noises even tho they are not very loud... :( I gave her 15 ccs of redcell a vit B shot...what else should I do, I am wrapping her up in a blanket as out side is warmer than inside, anything else I can do for her?? HELP!! oh and I gave her the whiskey, coffee mixture, anything else

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would rub her really well. Keep her warm like you are. Bo you have Nutra Drench? Give that to her. Keep offering her warm water. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE on her

20. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    ok I will try that, I will try warm oatmeal too