Dung Beetle Population Ecstatic

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Texas.girl, Sep 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Texas.girl

Texas.girl Adopted by Goats

Sport was castrated a couple weeks ago and since he getsbullied a lot the decision was made to just put him in the vegetablegarden. He has been a very happy goatever since. Yesterday we noticed a largeAloe Vera plant has been consumed. Wegrow Aloe Vera for its medicinal uses. Incase you are unaware, Aloe Vera does not only have remarkable healingproperties for burns, but also is consumed for the treatment ofconstipation. Poor Sport has the runsthis morning.:laugh:

Attached Files:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    um - watch him closely that he does not get dehydrated :) he looks happy over there, for sure

3. Texas.girl

We let him out to graze with the other goats while we worked outside this morning and he seems fine. He is back in the garden this afternoon and has plenty of water available to him. So I am not worried.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh wow, that is sure something, I agree to watch him for a while.

5. Texas.girl

Sport is doing well. I still give him a bottle in the middle of the day when I give our 2 week old twins their bottle, just so he won't try and steal their bottles. I diluted the milk replacer with extra water today so he got more fluids during the hottest part of the day. I removed the twins from the garden this evening before giving them their bedtime bottle and Sport acted just like he always does. I think he will be okay. The plant on the other hand....

6. Texas.girl

Sport ate the Aloe Vera on Friday sometime. It is now Sunday afternoon. Just wanted to let everyone know he is doing just fine.

7. Zarafia

Zarafia Senior Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Archer, FL
    Funny, my goaties have access to a veritable aloe jungle LOL, but they have never touched the plants. There's lots of other green stuff around the aloe.
    I believe that the thinking behind herbal wormers is that wild goats would seek out and ingest the plants that would ward off parasites.
    It is known that wild parrots ingest a clay/mineral mix that neutralizes toxins in the fruits/nuts/seeds that they eat.
    Perhaps a goat might eat something like aloe because he instinctively needs something in it?
    But what do I know LOL?

8. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Glad to hear he is doing fine!
    Zarafia had an interesting point. I know aloe helps wounds to heal when applied topically. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a similar effect when taken internally, even on external wounds like the one from castration.

9. Texas.girl

Maybe Sport was a little constipated or who knows? There is a ton of other things to eat in the garden where I have him right now. Whatever the reason he decided to devour that aloe vera plant, he should be totally cleaned out by now. He ate enough aloe to give a grown man diarrhea.

10. Arkie

Arkie Junior Member

Sep 25, 2012
    North Central AR

MOST EVERYTHING our goats eat would give ME diarrhea!:ROFL:

Bob