The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to post this here so people would see it,we wNt and picked up a new boer buckling to night to raise as a herd sire,I have bought several dies from this farm and have became good friends,chat often about goats and I call him with questions,he gave this doelings to my daughters

·
1,524 Posts
I had a buckling fullblood Boer who was born a dwarf. He never grew to normal size and died at about a year old. He reminded me of a dwarf Mini horse.

She's a cutie and your daughter is beautiful.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks they are both cute,do dwarfs usually live a full life,she seems very healthy and has made it through weaning

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I have never liked the name of our breed, Nigerian Dwarf Goat. Dwarfism is a genetic defect and there are different types. Most manifest with larger then normal heads, short necks, short legs, etc.

Your kid is so cute! Technically speaking I think she is not a dwarf...just a cute little "runt". She may remain small or she may reach her adult size later then normal. I'd be interested in hearing how she matures. I had a couple of small ones this year...I'm going to keep them and see how they mature.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thats one cute baby. We had a dwarf nigerian dwarf this year. He was about 1/2 pound at birth. The people that bought him for a pet bottle feed him and take him everywhere with them. I saw them at the feed store a couple of weeks ago. He is about 14 weeks old and still tiny. Maybe 5 pounds. The people at tsc think he is just wonderful. They dont even have him on a leash! The guy puts him in the shoppiing cart and away they go. When they are done he carries him around like a little dog. The goat seems to understand everything the man says. They are keeping him for a stud to cross with their pygmies. So maybe they will have mini pygmies. It will be interesting!!

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
Very cute.

It is a runt for sure.

I never seen or heard of a dwarf boer. Some are born really small. As they did not get proper nutrients in the womb, making them a runt.

Make sure, she gets all the vitamins and good feed, to help her achieve her maximum growth. She will never get really big, but give her a good start with proper care. I would get a fecal for worms and cocci. Both can stunt growth as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts