The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another question about my two baby dwarf nigerian goats, Dustee is 6 months old and Dewee is 5 months old. I have this terrible fear of them getting bloat, I mean to the point I kind of check them all the time, looking out the window, and rubbing their bellies. I have never raised goats before and I want the very best for my little ones, so how can you tell if they are just fluffy and really ok or not? I think they are over weight and I don't know how to correct it, I give them purina noble goat grain, 1/4 cup in morning, mixed with a handle of BOSS. and then they have their hay free choice, they also have Manna Pro loose goat minerals and baking soda free choice. I am afraid if they do get bloat, and I try to treat them with the dawn dish liquid/20 oz warm water bottle I wont be able to get it into them, and if I do , I will get it in their lungs, please give me some advice, I'm worrying when I probably am doing ok, I hope. Thanks:confused::eek:

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Are these boys wethers? ..Bucks and wethers need their grain feed balanced 2:1 in calcium/ phosphorus to help prevent urinary calculi. A feed containing ammonium chloride is recommended. If this is not available then top dressing their grain with the proper amount of ammonium cholride. Some add vinegar to their water helps in keeping the acid levels in control also. But always provide fresh water as well...
here is a article to explain UC
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/urinarycalculi06.html
Bloated bellies are hard and it is uncomfortable ..goats will show you they hurt..a dish soap drench is fine as is giving Gas x or drenching with baking soda and water...
here is a good read on that
http://goat-link.com/content/view/16/81/#.UmRijJRxte4

Keep C D antitoxin on hand to help in situations of the gut : )

and most important...relax : ) enjoy your boys..feed the proper and be prepared if they need help...they will be fine

·
1,524 Posts
Plus free choice baking soda will keep them from getting the proper amount of their loose minerals, since baking soda is sodium.

I have had goats for 35+ years. In that time, I have had 3 cases of bloat. If you keep looking for trouble, you will find it.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
When goaties are on hay, their bellies get wide. That is a sign the "tummy factory" is in great working order. When they are full, it may feel firm, but the goat will be comfortable. Probably napping, haha! With bloat there will be obvious discomfort.

With boys, I would recommend taking the baking soda away. I don't even offer it to my does anymore. I found they were becoming somewhat dependent on it. It can also cause them not to absorb minerals correctly and can clog the boys up. I always have it on hand to feed in emergency. I think I've used it once. I used antacid on one of my does who was full, tight, and looking a little uncomfortable. Gave her some antacid, and rubbed her tummy till she burped. She was fine.

I second the comment about the grain needing to be balanced with ammonium chloride, but I personally do not feed it at all. I don't feel pet wethers need grain, and for me, the life-threatening risk of UC is not worth it. My wether boys get free-choice hay and minerals (Manna Pro, actually!) and a 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets to share. A bit of boss is good too. :) I like keeping their diet as simple as possible.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
goatie boys

They r both wethers, I forgot to add that in there, Ha. Thanks to all for the info, puts my mind at rest, and I will take away the baking soda, can you buy just ammonium chrolide by itself, and how much whould I put out for them daily?:thankU:

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have been raising Nigerian wethers for the past 13 years. Everything people are writing has also worked for me. Keep it simple with grass hay and a quality loose mineral and they will do great. I learned the hard way when they were a yr old and thought they neede grain and one of them came down with UC. He serviced and will be turning 14 yrs old in January. I do give them snacks or treats though but very limited. I like ritz crackers for a treat a couple each and the salt is good for them.as far as bloat my wethers are hay eating machines!!! I once had the vet out because one had got so big on both sides I thought it had to be bloat but it wasn't . They can regulate them selves. Sometimes a lot bigger to stay warm or in my case the vet taught me how to listen to the rumen activity and my one guy has a really strong and fast rumen. I know it's easy to say don't worry but you will learn just by observing how they feel. I always tell my wife and kids off their pooping, peeing, eating and drinking water all is good

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
goatie boys

Thanks to all of you, I really appreciate all the posts, don't know what I would do if I didn't have Goat Spot to help me out, best thing ever. all have a great day.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts