The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a solid black goat she has some frosting on her ears and nose and a white dot on her head. she is like 16 inches tall and that is as big as she will get and plus she has sky blue eyes (almost white looking) and she is tiny was just wondering if you guys thought she was a pygmy or a Nigerian dwarf goat thanks!!

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
I would say Nigerian since you said she has blue eyes, but don't count my word on it. A picture would help.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
umm let me see if i have one??

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no pics downloaded umm but i think she is the dwarf thanks for all the help

·
Registered
109 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong bc I am a newbie but my 4 month Pygmy has a cute little beard and my purebred nigerian isn't growing one, but his father didn't have one either so I assumed none of that breed do.

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Yea, my Nigerian buck has a massive beard because when I clip him I don't do his head. My almost 6 month old buckling only has a tiny one, but his will get bigger when he gets older. My does will start to grow one, but I clip their heads, so the beards don't get a chance to grow.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Purebred pygmies do not have blue eyes.
Cross/mixed bred pygmies could have blue eyes.
Nigerians have blue eyes.
Both come in that color...black with frosted ears.
Both nigerians and pygmies can have beards.

Without a photo...you might have a nigerian dwarf or a nigerian dwarf/pygmy cross or mix.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks everyone she has no beard I am pretty sure she is a dwarf

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Beards have no bearing on breed of goat just like the myth that only bucks will grow a beard, I have quite a few does who have beards and they are either PB Nigerian or pygmy/nigerian crosses. :)

At ANY time there are blue eyes in a goat other than a purebred registered Nigerian Dwarf or a PB Registered myotonic, consider that goat a crossbreed as only ND and Fainter/Myotonic are recognized as having blue eyes.
My bet is that your black doe with frosted ears and nose and white poll with blue eyes is likely a ND or a cross of ND/Pygmy :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks she seems to be a drawf goat

·
1,524 Posts
Pygmies are not supposed to have blue eyes, so she must be either full Nigerian or a Nigerian/Pyg cross. (Fainters and I think some fiber goats have blue eyes too). The color you described could be either ND or Pyg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts