dying baby..what point to stop trying to feed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jonara, Jan 10, 2018.

1. jonara

jonara Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Maui, Hawaii
    Hi..I have not been here for a few years..you guys used to help me a lot. a quick back story..I never planned to get goats..just kind of ended up with them..we rented a house here on Maui with 6 acres and goats. The owner lived on the mainland and had caretakers who often did not do anything for sick animals so I would always do what I could. I ended up with 3 of my own from raising sick babies. I had to move to Washington state 2015 so gave my 3 girls up to the caretaker of that property (one died and one was stolen :().

Now I'm back and my one goat left..Panda.. just had twins yesterday. I got a text around 4:30 from the people who are renting my old house telling me they were born and a picture of one of the babies that they said had laid there for a couple of hours. Checked on him and sure enough..super weak. Called caretaker who really just lets nature take it's course. He said I could take him home if I wanted but he didn't think he'd make it through the night. He said he didn't have anything to help him out. I asked him for a syringe and at least got that. I have no goatie supplies anymore so hubby ran to store and got molasses, pedialyte, whole milk, diapers and a bottle.

He was freezing as his mom did not clean him very much...I got him right under the blow dryer..then on me with a heating pad over him. I read no to feed milk until body temp up..too much blood needed just for heart and other organs. I did give him little drips of pedialyte and rub some molasses on his gums a couple of times. He finally started feeling like he was holding his heat and was holding his head up instead of to the side and was lightly sucking on my finger. So I tried some milk in the bottle..didn't want that yet..so stuck the syringe on the side of his mouth when he was sucking on my finger and he really woke up. drank 1/8 of a cup. He was more chipper...moving back legs but still too weak to stand. an hour and a half later I tried again (I forget all I learned working with the goats.so read 1/4 cup every 2 - 4 hours for first 24 hours) and got him to drink a little less then before but with the same enthusiasm...he even nudges on my chin trying to find a teet.

then time for bed..i've got him wearing a sweater sleeve..he's in a box with heating pad and blanket and box is covered. He went downhill from that point..yelps like hes in pain every 15m 1/2hour...rapid shallow breathing. I suspect pnemonia. just dribbled pedialyte with a tiny bit of mollasses in it every once in a while...tried milk a few times but he did not want it. at 5 a.m. he finally took it..but not with as much vigor. Now it's 12 pm and he has not wanted to eat. He's very listless..cannot hold head up. Still yelping here and there. Doesn't yelp when I move joints or touch his umbillical cord area that his mom ate to the nub :(

I drove up to the pasture where his mom is and tried my hardest to get some colostrum from her. The goats there are left pretty wild..and she has never ever liked her utter touched. I forgot my rope so I cornered her inside the very small old chicken coup we had built there and woudl have had more if she didn't kick it out of my hand twice. It's not even 10cc..I got a few down him when I came home..not sure if he swallowed by maybe once. So worried about making him asparate.

So....I know there are a lot of other things I could have done if I had the supplies. I did not take him to the vet because he's not 'really' my goat and if he lives the owner will just sell him for meat in 6 months :( so I'm just trying to keep him comfortable and give him love. I am wondering at what point should I stop trying to force feed him? I can't do tubing or anything like that..I don't have that selinium stuff for weak kids. Is it inhuman or more humane to stop feeding and just let him fade away?

thank you...

jamee

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    He really needed colustrum within the first 12 hours, I would say 24 hours max. Did you take his temperature? Needs to be 100.5 before feeding. Things don't sound good. If you don't have supplies, selenium or colostrum it does sound bleak.

jonara likes this.

3. jonara

jonara Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Maui, Hawaii
    I don't think I got any colostrum into him within 12 but definitely 24. hardly though. It's just not possible for me to get much done from the mom up there..it's not my home there anymore and I too deal with health issues...lupus..so I can't do what I used to do over there. I don't have a themometer for him either..so I was guessing. He seemed warm all over. Now his leg are not holding heat again.

I just wonder if he'll fall asleep in death more easily if I quit trying to dribble pedialite and milk in him.

4. Redbarngoatfarm

Redbarngoatfarm Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Southern Ontario
    Bless your heart for doing what you can. I think he has a chance, so if it were me I would continue what you are doing. Keeping him warm will really help.
    I would also understand if you stopped though ....so sorry if you have to deal with this!

jonara likes this.
  5. jonara

jonara Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Maui, Hawaii
    Thank you...he's getting dribble by dribble but getting weaker. I finally put him back in the laundry room so could turn the fan on in my office..it's so hot! I haven't heard him cry for an hour..prob not good..but I'm just gonna let him sleep..I feel so bad every time he yelps :(

Mary B. likes this.
  6. Davon

Davon Active Member

Sep 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    I am a hospice nurse. If he were my patient, I would say feed him when he wants it and don't force him. You have done everything you could.

jonara and wifeof1 like this.
  7. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Has he pooped? Can you get a temp rectally?

jonara likes this.
  8. jonara

jonara Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Maui, Hawaii
    Thank you..I think that is what I needed to hear ♥

9. jonara

jonara Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Maui, Hawaii
    no poop and I have no thermometer for that. He's only peed twice too.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Give an enema immediately. Not pooping can kill him.
    A small syringe(no needle) with warm lightly soapy water, insert the very tip of the syringe and plunge some up there slowly, keep doing it until you get out good amount of poo to come out. He will get the urge to push to poo.

Get a thermometer, very important, if he is fed milk and is under 100 degree's, you will kill him.

A small Bo-se shot or gel may help.

Nutradrench may give him energy.

NyGoatMom likes this.
  11. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

How is he? Did he make it?

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats