Dying Goat - your help is more than appreciated

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CreekWoods, Feb 6, 2016.

1. CreekWoods

CreekWoods New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    NE Oklahoma
    Greetings! Just finished wiping my eyes as I decided to pull up my big girl panties and post here to figuring out a solution! We are new to Goats (have had other animals) and need your help!

We've got a dying goat and her baby with a bad case of scours - what do we do?!

Here's the short of it:
    22 does pregnant (ranging from 120 days to 145 days)
    9 days ago 4 year old doe (leader of the pack) fell down
    Thought she was going into labor, a trip to the vet the next day revealed pregnancy toximea (learned we probably screwed up feeding as the cause)
    Tried to get her better for 3 days. No luck, c-section on Feb 1st
    Three kids: one stillborn, one died shortly after birth and one survived (more on him below)
    The doe came home and we have been treating with antibiotics and bcomplex.
    She is eating, drinking not much and she hasn't gotten up and is too weak to do so and now is bleeding from internally
    She is inside barn away from other does - family is caring for her
    My husband and I think we should just put her out of her miser but if not, we are just so confused what to do to even treat her. From forum to websites to post there are about 1050 ways to do any sort of treatment for any sort of ailment so we are super confused!

We have an amazing vet who has been our advocate through all our learning, but we are 48 hours away from his open hour so time is important.

Regarding the buckling. He has been bottle fed - and has had scours since Wednesday (3 days). Hes eating great (24oz formula now) and active. We've given pepto but that just caused black scours and now its back to the brown scours since the pepto is out of his system. He had some powdered colostrum the first day of life and scours hit when regular powder was given.

Any help is appreciated

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

For the doe... You mean she is bleeding like a period to clean her uterus or she is peeing or pooping blood? Take her temperature rectally, normal is 101.5 to 103.5. She needs the boost of a large dose of Fortified B complex injection, 1 cc per 20 lbs. That will help her stress level and improve her appetite. Look for a product called Angel Maker in the horse section of your feed store, 1 scoop on her food 3 times a day helps clean the uterus, increase good bacteria levels, and add back the destroyed rumen yeasts. If you can't find that get regular probios for her. Give firm quick massages to stimulate her muscles.

For baby... Give electrolytes for a couple of feedings and then start him on regular red topped full fat cows milk, small amounts at first. Many littles are allergic to goat formula and will never do well on it. Take his temp as well. Make sure he always 100 degrees or above before feeding.

3. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Check temp on mom.
    How is her color?

Why do you say she's bleeding internally? If she truly is than I don't think she will last very long.

It is normal to have some bloody discharge after kidding ( or a c-section )

Give probiotics with the antibiotics. They have goat specific ones at tractor supply etc.

I would do cmpk or calcium injections ( SQ not IV) and nutridrench. Offer some warm molasses water.

4. CreekWoods

CreekWoods New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    NE Oklahoma
    Kid is 99.9 - you say hold off to feed if under 100?
    Don't have electrolytes or whole milk here. Hold off all feeding till morning?

Thank yii!!

(Husband went to get doe's temp)

5. goathiker

Here...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
    2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what you have or honey
    1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
    1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Fortified B complex can be bought at the feed store.

6. goathiker

Electrolytes are okay to feed if he's a little low. That isn't a good sign in a kiddo tough. Make sure he has a mild heat source to keep his temp up until he can hold it on his own.

7. CreekWoods

CreekWoods New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    NE Oklahoma
    Does temp was low. We added more blankets and another heat lamp. Not any help there.

We gave bcomplex to the doe on Thursday. Said wait 3 days so hadn't given anymore. But he's headed out to give more now.

Bleeding is vaginally. More of mucous. Not a lot.

Sorry kid temp was wrong - it is 101.2. Making up electrolytes now.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    bleeding from vulva could be normal clean out. check her lower inner eye lids for color...you want to see deep pink to red..pale lids is anemia. B complex daily is needed...

baby temps good...follow goat hikers suggesting of electros only for 12 -24 hours then small amounts of whole cows milk from grocery...

9. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    The bleeding is probably normal uterine discharge right now.

B Vitamins are water soluble so any excess will be excreted in the urine. So don't worry about her over dosing on that.

Do you have any calcium to give her? Or nutridrench?

Even just warm water with molasses if that's all you have at the moment.

What antibiotic are you using? How much and how are you giving it?

10. goathiker

Veterinarians so often don't really understand a goat's metabolic system. They aren't taught very much about them.

Vitamin B needs given every 8 hours while she is down, tapered to every 12 hours when she gets up, tapered to every 24 hours as she starts eating better.

The electrolytes will do her good as well, try to get a couple cups of them down her. The sugar will help energy level. Make sure she can reach alfalfa or hay all the time.

11. goathiker

He's only a day old Cathy so I suggested 2 feedings to clean. He's only had formula for a day.

12. CreekWoods

CreekWoods New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    NE Oklahoma
    You all are amazing! Thank you so much.

He's 5 days old. We just had a good laugh watching him eat the electrolytes solution. Got about 1/2 oz down him. Will start on cow milk in morning. The "allergic" comment makes such sense as he's doing great otherwise (gained a pound, energetic, eating) - should we give 24 oz tomorrow to start or slow the oz to start. Also I read a formula with buttermilk and evaporated milk. You a fan of this?

So thankful about suggestions on mom. We were at such a loss but because she's alert, but not standing or getting stronger. We just weren't giving up. (Saved a goat that was almost a goner earlier -not disease issue- this year and now she's gonna have babies soon so we root on the side of trying everyone within reason.)

Didn't check her famacha when at barn. Will check that tomorrow.

Since she hasnt walked in over a week, how long ahiuld we expect before we see improvement?

13. goathiker

How much does he weigh?

14. goathiker

So you would start at 12 ounces tomorrow and work him up from there. I am not a big fan of the homemade formula above, it seems to be too rich for many kids. Plain whole milk with a tiny pinch of baking soda in the morning bottle works well for almost any kid.

The doe will be a project, she may need a sling made to getting her muscles working again. Do you have Banamine, Metacam, or Meloxicam by any chance?

15. CreekWoods

CreekWoods New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    NE Oklahoma
    My husband built a sling two days ago but we haven't had her in it for 48 hours because it was binding her. He's gotta figure out a better way to fix it. Tried to attach a pic, not sure if it went through.

We did give her some pain Relief - pretty sure it was meloxicam - 1 1/2 ml for two days. But didn't give her any today. I have more that I can give.

I'm really confused about the probiotics. How often do you administer - when trying to recover a sick goat like this - and even just for ongoing.

Attached Files:

16. CreekWoods

CreekWoods New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    NE Oklahoma
    We gave about 1cup 1/2 of bounce back - you a fan of this product? Or suggest still giving other nutrients?

Thank you

17. goathiker

They can be given 3 times a day for now. They will never hurt a goat. The Angelmaker is specific for stress, and recovery but regular probios only add good bacteria to the rumen. Going on you could give them once a week or whatever you feel they need. I don't use them unless they are not feeling well or not eating well, after worming, things like that.

You could use the sling to lift her then set her down on a hay bale to let her play with using her legs.

18. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Is this doe low on calcium by chance? Selenium deficiency? (sorry if it's been mentioned, can't remember if I saw anything about it...)

19. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree about mixing stuff with milk....I would go straight whole cows milk.....Personally I would not start baby on milk just yet if he is still runny....if he's pretty firm it should be fine but When they go super watery, 12 hours in the least is usually needed...understanding that he needs food...but it wont do him any good if he poops it right out.