dying goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bobo, Nov 27, 2010.

1. bobo

bobo New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    i have lost 3 goats in the last month, 2 that were 6 months old an 1 that i was told was 5 years old but i think she was older. the two younger ones had diarea for over a week that i couldnt get cleared up, but they never lost their appatite an were trying to eat up to the day they died. the older one never showed any signs of sickness she just started laying around more and more for about two or three days then she died. i dont know if i have a contageous disease or if the two young ones just ate something poisonous, and the other died of old age. my first goat herd and im really getting frustrated, and just had a set ot pretty black boer twin does that i really dont want two die. im trying two find somewhere two move them untill i figure this out. any advise would be greatly appretiated.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like Cocci on the younger ones - I would be doing a fecal immediately on the others to find out exactly what you are dealing with.

Sorry that you have lost 3.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The diarhea makes me think they had a cocci overload. Did you deworm them or give them any cocci preventatives or treatments? What did you do to try and clear up the diarhea?

You can get cocci treatment and dewormers from http://www.jefferslivestock.com If mine start getting diarhea I always treat for cocci just to be safe. Without treating for it a kid can die within a week. I would get a fecal done on your goats as well. Just collect some sampes, put them in a bag, take them into the vet and they can see what worms you need to treat for or if they have a cocci issue going on, but it's most common in kids and i'd be willing to bet that had something to do with their death.

Good luck!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So sorry for your losses :hug:

I agree, Cocci would be prime suspect in the kids...especially with the diarhea.

Have a fecal run by a vet...any vet can do one.
    Having a few basics on hand can help too....Pepto Bismol helps control diarhea, providing fresh water to entice them to drink, a thermometer, taking a temp is beneficial in trying to figure out what is causing the illness, normal rectal goat temp is 101-103.5*F
    Nutri Drench and Probiotic paste are also beneficial.

The kids you have now would be affected by coccidia anytime after a 3 week incubation of the organism....please, have a fecal run on any of the other goats you have, this way you can definately prevent future cases...if that is the case.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so very sorry for your losses..... :( :hug:

I agree with everyone on cocci ..... and to get fecal done.... :hug: