Ear Problem, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Logan, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Logan

Logan New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I have a Saanen that I bought about two months ago. She seems to be fairly old and wasn't living in optimal conditions before I bought her, but seems to be in pretty good health, considering. About a week ago I had a look in her ears and noticed that inside one of them, at the entrance to the ear canal it looks really crusty or flaky and there is a lot of what I'm guessing is earwax (brown stuff). I've noticed that she has been scratching that side of her head a lot and shaking her head, so I think whatever it is is getting worse. The other ear looks just fine inside. Anyone know what I should do to remedy it?

Thanks!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Vet RX is awesome when dealing with possible ear mites, thats what it sounds like she has...the crusties and the scratching are symptoms.
    Baby oil will work too but the Vet RX is a mutipurpose natural remedy.

BTW...WELCOME!

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I had a doe with a vertical folded ear which had to be cleaned out with a couple of baby wipes; wax build up.
    So you might try that for your initial cleaning then apply vet rx or baby oil per Liz's tip.
    And yes, welcome! Good to have you here Logan!

4. Logan

Logan New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks for the advice and the welcome!

Is it unusual for ear mites to only affect one ear? Anyway, I'll try some baby oil first since the vet RX is not readily available.