The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6mo doe just received an ear tag about 2 weeks ago. Have noticed some crust on her ear and when I went out yesterday to feed their was yellow puss all around the tag. She looks good and is eating well and no fever should I put iodine on the ear around the tag? I know it's an infection and I'd really like to get it cleared up before it becomes an actual serious issue. Any advice would be great. Thank you!!!

·
I'm watching you
22,550 Posts
Cleaning it with iodine once would be good. Then I would switch to an antibiotic ointment that will coat the stem of the tag. I actually would use Tomorrow, it works really well for these type of things. Neosporin or Providine ointment would also work. Clean it with Saline solution and apply ointment a couple three times a day.

·
14,456 Posts
Iodine is going to stain the tag. Id use sterile water with some peroxide in it, making the peroxide weak.
Iodine & peroxide dry out the skin so I'd use it only once.
After that some weak betadine or weak chlorahexine? (sp)
If you feel she needs it, a few cc Penicillin right in the infection.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I will do that first thing tomorrow. Can I use my contact saline solution to clean the area? I know funny question but it's what I have on hand. Is this something that happens often or is just some my other doe got a tag at the same time and their has been no problems with hers and the same gun was used.

·
2,180 Posts
I agree. An oil base antibiotic would work fantastic. ToMorrow, ToDay, Hetacin, SpectraMast. Any kind of mastitis treatment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts