The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share our experience here.

Back on May 11th we took 3 market wethers to get the mandatory state KUIP tag that is required in order for the kids to use them for 4-H.

It took weeks for 2 of them to heal. They'd get goopy runny fluid that would get stiff and pull the hair off of their ears.
Then they got sick. 2 of them got better.

The third guy just hasn't thrived. I thought maybe he had a worm issue so I had wormed him really really well. We'd think we were doing good, then wham, he'd have diarrhea again.
We were at a show last month and I noticed this guy had some goopy/crusty stuff under the tag.
I was talking to another woman who's kids have a lot of wethers, and she started talking about the tags, saying there were a lot of problems, people's goats were dying because the tags were getting infected, etc.
I was like OMG, and told her we had one that I noticed had a crusty ear.

Well we cleaned it, treated it, thought it was healing.

Wednesday, my kids were washing the wethers, and my son said something smelled really bad on the wether. I was like oh no... I told him to check his ear.
Sure enough, his ear smelled awful, like it was rotting! Lots of crusty/yucky stuff around it again.
Cleaned it every day and disinfected it. Well Sat night we came home from a party and he had diarrhea really bad :(
I knew it was from the ear. Otherwise he seemed fine.

Diarrhea cleared up, but ear was getting worse.
Today I cut the tag off and I was like OMG! I'd never seen a tag site get so bad. It was nasty. It looked like he had a ring around the top of the opening that was the size/consistency of those yellow bands you use for wethering. I sprayed it really good with wound-kote.

Tomorrow I'll coat it really good with triple antibiotic ointment mixed with penG.
I'm more worried now about flies/bugs bothering it, otherwise I think it'll heal up rather quickly.

We've had one other issue with an ear tag years ago when a doe we bought was tagged after breaking the numbers off of her old tag. But before it got horrible we just cut the tag out.

This tag IMO is too snug compared to a scrapie tag, and seems wider as well.

Anyway, I'll be writing to the state vet along with sending pictures and complaining. I was told I need to complain, as there are other parents who will be writing complaints accompanied by photos.

A picture below....warning it's yucky!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
awww poor baby, glad you found it and he will get better now I bet!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ouch poor boy, our old wether still has his tags in and thank god nothing like that happened when he got his tags in a few years ago.

·
14,615 Posts
Oh no what an awful experience for all concerned!
You're on top of it though.
I know of a breeder who got a batch of tags that caused problems. I dont recall the company name.
If you call them maybe they can help you or at least make sure no one else gets them.
In the future you can soak both tag & applicator tip in alcohol before insertion.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Wow, that is awful. I hope the state gets plenty of complaints and makes some changes. That is unfair for everyone who has had to spend a lot of money on a sick goat or losing a goat.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
That is horrible. Are they using the round tags? Those are made for hogs not goats... I would suggest they use either the skinny tags or the ones shaped like miniature cattle tags. Those usually don't get infected. Next year I would bring some alcohol along for the tip of the tag to be dipped in before putting on your goat. Who knows where they store their tags between tagging dates.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Poor fellow :(
It surely does look as though the tag was clamped down too tightly, hopefully now that it's gone he can heal.
The salve should help though and once it's able to heal from the inside out and scabs over, he won't have a big scar.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Everyone. I hope the majority don't have to deal with anything like this.

Parttimepotter I hope your calf gets better.

PTGoats45 - yep they are the small, round tags that fit snug against the ear. It was so snug you couldn't really see how swelled up the open flesh was around it.

We are actually taking this guy to auction in about a week, he is my youngest daughters market wether, she is too young to auction him at the 4-H auction so we'll take him to the stockyards so she can sell him. Still, being market animals they deserve to be happy and comfortable through their lives. I know his ear must really have been hurting :(

The night before last I had forgotten to rehang the does mineral feeder, so I was feeding them some mineral out of a bowl, he was standing next to his mom eating mineral and she kept trying to lick his ear, and grab the tag, then she'd look at me like 'Aren't you going to help him?'
She's a wonderful, loving mama, but that just really impressed me. She was trying to tell me to do something about it.
Definitely one of those things where cleaning it just wasn't going to work.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
if other people had similar problems maybe the applicator pliers need cleaned between each one. i'd be taking some spray alcolhol and or peroxide with me and bluekote it after.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
A good thing to do would be to shave some of the hair off away from the area and wash it real good with chlorohexidine. This can be purchased from a vet or you can go to walmart and they have something similar that is chlorohexidine gluconate 4%. The brand name is Hibiclens. It's pink and is about 5 dollars for a 4oz. bottle. The bottle is blue. Should be in the isle with the rubbing alcohol and peroxide. This stuff is amazing!!! It's a miracle in a bottle. It cleans the area and promotes healthy cell growth. I love it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
yep, that looks like what happened to mine this year and last. Even with daily treatment. Mine were the large type- I have a post here about them.. Tags stink! Even when we sold him last week, he still had a slight oozing.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Oh wow , poor guy :( So sorry both of you had to go through this !
Something definitely needs to be done about using proper tags for the animal. What a shame !

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Bless his heart! I am glad you finally found out what was going on with him. I agree it looks like it had been too tight. We always dip the tags in chlorhexidine solution (aka generic nolvasan) its a blue solution before tagging our lambs. That is so sad that so many people were having issues with those that had been tagged. I would write a letter and send pictures too if I were you guys.

Hope his ear gets better before the market.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts