The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow Mary got her scapies tag caught on something and it ripped through her ear lengthwise about two inches, but not through any veins - hardly bled, and what did clotted up. So basically she has half her ear cut in two. My wife and I cleaned it with sterile water, carefully put large band aids on crosswise to hold it together (I dont think it will heal together, but not going to argue with my wife and it'd be great if I am wrong), wrapped it in clean gauze, made a cardboard splint to keep it flat, and wrapped it all up with vet wrap. She didn't seem to be in any pain - never pulled away. Called the vet to see if there was anything else I might have done, but not an emergency, so just asked for a call back when they could. Probably wont hear back for a few days.

Do you think we did this right? any advice?

(We clipped off the tags of the others - learned our lesson)

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry that you lost the rescue.

So far Mary seems fine - vet called back and said we did the right things. Said cows and pigs, etc rip ears all the time with their tags and seem to heal ok. Unwrapped her ear tonight and all looks good and no infection, then rewrapped it.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts