Ear tag

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Jul 13, 2008.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Does it matter where on the ear we put the tag,is it better to have it in the upper ear or lower? I thought lower but wanted to check first.

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    The tags I've seen have been put in the center, top third (closer to the head then the tip, hard to explain without pics). I would think it is less likely to get caught on something and pull out then if it's near the tip. So, you've chosen tags rather then tatoos?

3. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I wanted to tattoo but my mom got tags. :/ Ok,we will probably put it in the middle then.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

be really carful with the tags, a friend of mine had a nubian doe that had a tag in her ear about the middle. She jumped off the milk stand and got it caught on the stantion part, she ripped the entire lower half of her ear off. I have seen so many goats rip their ears due to tags. i dont like them at all.
    beth

5. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    yeah thats what I said but she didnt listen .... it is small and metal though so will probably be closer to the ear so hopefully wont get caught.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The tags should be in the top part of the ear. When I tag mine, I put the tag as far to the top as I can get it because as they grow it will end up lower, and the lower it is, it will hit them in the eye.
    I have tagged my goats for 9 years and i have never ever had a problem. It is MANDATORY to use the scrapie tags unless the goats are registered and have a tattoo.

7. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The Scrape tags are. UNLESS they are a registered animal. Then they can go by the registration number and the papers have to follow them to all the shows and any time they leave the property. I went to a meeting about this, (This was in Colorado). They can NOT have a microchip and use that number, either registered or Scrape tag. ONLY those two options are acceptable. He said if he goes to a show and he does not see a scrape tag in a goat or sheep then he will ask for the registration papers, if they do not have them or the goat is not registered then he will and has to put a tag in the ear and he takes all the information and saves it. He said that is the Colorado law and the law for about 37 other states and soon will be for all 50 States. We were told last year that if they are under 18 months and they are a wether then they do not need the tag, but they changed that also. Now it is under I believe 6 months. We tag all the goat because they have to be tagged in order to be aloud in the show.

9. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah we have to have a scrapie tag,or reg. tattoo.

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I tag all of my goats. I put them in the top part of the ear. The closer they are to the head, the tougher the ear is. I prefer tattoos over tags because tags can be removed and a tattoo cant. But tags are easier to see if you have goats that are timid. I tattoo and tag my goats.

11. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
  12. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    It looks fine there....I have a boer that I put the tag in the middle of the ear..just like your goat's tag.