EAR TAG

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KFOWLER, Jan 7, 2011.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I bought a buck over the summer with an ear tag that has a series of letters and numbers on it...does this mean he has been previously registered or is this something that is commonly done at a sale barn? Is there a website that I could look this up and possibly get any info on the buck...the lady I bought him from didn't have any info...heck she was barely feeding him!! I went there to buy two does and he was pitiful looking so I brought him home also...he looks great now and I was just curious about the tag in his ear. :ponder:

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    They are required for interstate transport and for other things depending on the state. They are ID tags for the scrapie program. I don't know a lot about them, but in NM you can't get a health certificate from a vet without one unless you have ADGA tattoos, or some other registration that is recognized by the USDA. Scrapie is the sheep/goat version of mad cow disease, it is very important that it not get into the food supply. So the tags are for traceability. They have nothing to do with breed registrations.

Jan

3. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Ok...thanks!!

4. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    If you are wondering if he is/was at one point ever registered look under his ears, there will be a tattoo on each side, we are have a similar discussion in the Meat goat forum if you would like some more info. part of it is Boers whats the diff, and finding a breeder.

5. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    OK...Thanks!! I will go read it!!