Ear tags

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sunrise, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Sunrise

Sunrise Guest

Feb 8, 2008
    Does any one use ear tags on their goats? If so where did you get them? I have been looking into it for record keeping. Thank you!!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The only ones I use and I have to use are the Scrapie tags. Here in Colorado,in order to show, sell or butcher(at a shop) any goat or sheep, they have to be tagged.

3. Sunrise

Sunrise Guest

Feb 8, 2008
    Ok I have heard of thoses but what are they?

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I don't use tags on my dairy goats but I'll be using them on all my Boer kids this year, I plan on getting personalized ones from Premier Supply.

5. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    tags

Scrapies tags are part of the USDA scrapies eradication program. The tags and the tagger are free, but you are required to get a premises i.d. in order to get them. Some people are opposed to the premises i.d. But, if you don't care, just call your state branch of the USDA (here it is the KSDA - Kansas State Dept. Of Ag.) and they take the info over the phone and you get your tags and tagger in the mail. They assign the premises i.d. number.

6. Shazzy

Shazzy Guest

Oct 15, 2007
    Does anyone know where I can get the tagging rules in my state? Or if you live in WI, could you please tell me what the laws are here? I think it's required, but I wanted to double check. Thanks!

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    you can contact your state USDA office or go to their website. I use scrapies tags and I am going to start doing incividual id tags. You can get them at most feed stores or farm supply stores. Get the sheep and goat tags, I have a pic of one in my avatar. I can give you a close up if you want.

8. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Wisconsin tags

Here is the link for the Wis. Dept. of Ag.:

http://datcp.state.wi.us/core/agricultu ... ulture.jsp

We stick a tag in right when kids are born and it's the only tag we put it in. Use that number for all i.d., records, etc. We are lazy. Once is enough for us.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Alyssa, can you tell me why you would tag with two tags? I have thought about doing it but I do not want to put any more expense then I have to. I figured if they are free, then I will just use them.

Now in CO when I get my Scrapie tags, I did not have to have a premises ID yet, but I am sure you do now. Also the tags and tagger are free for your first order. If you run out or lose them then you have to pay for those, so I ordered the max at that time. 200

11. Sunrise

Sunrise Guest

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks guys! Now here's another question. As said before do you have problems with the goats pulling their tags out. Some of our cows get them stuck on things but we have not had much trouble with them. Are goats the same way?

12. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Ouch

Well, you know how it is - never say a goat won't do something, cause they will! I haven't had any problems, although I'm sure it happens. We try to tag way up, like mid ear - not toward the edges. I think that helps.
    Now I will go out to check the does and find ear tags all over the ground!

13. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    it is just a quicker way to identify the goat when you are further away....not all of my goats are tame so it's hard to go up and fumble with the ear to find the number. I bought 2 goats with those tags already in their ears and the system works well. I have a few friends that use them. My scrapies tag number is on the bottom of the ear so you have to catch the goat and look on the under side of the ear for the individual number.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I don;t like ear tags at all. I have seen so many animals get them ripped out. I managed a large herd of boers a few years ago and just about every animal in the sixty plus herd had a tear in its ear from an ear tag. I was milking one of the nubian does and as she jumped off the milk stand she caught her tag on it and ripped the lower half of her ear off.
    I am very against ear tags.
    beth

15. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
    i don't like ear tags either. my first goats had ear tags and they ripped them off. i think long eared goats are nor good candidates.
    since i have some goats with very dark ears, i'm planning to buy micro chips and a reader.

16. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    None of my goats has tags.

When I got my premise id they sent the tags and tagger.

I tattoo my goats. Pygmys to.

The nubians are tattooed with the ADGA stuff, the pygmys are tattoed INCRNA##. I had my mom call them and ask if I could tattoo them with the INCRNA## instead of tagging and they said yes.

17. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    KY requires teh scapies tag to sell or show or move them. We are planning on getting microchips instead of tattooing to make things easier.

18. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I like microchips as well. I have o tag mine too because of shows. My cousin shows the goats that are born here so all get tagged. I have 1 goat that is tattooed and that is because she was born here....I plan to tattoo this year too. In my 2 years of raising goats, I have never had a problem with tags...knock on wood....I have had 1 get infected but it healed in no time. I wipe my tags down in alcohol before applying them and it has helped with infection.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do not like them either, but in order to show we have to have them.

20. Sunrise

Sunrise Guest

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks again. What about neck chains? Some of our dairy cows had them and they didn't last long at all. Any one still use them?