The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,033 Posts
you can contact your state USDA office or go to their website. I use scrapies tags and I am going to start doing incividual id tags. You can get them at most feed stores or farm supply stores. Get the sheep and goat tags, I have a pic of one in my avatar. I can give you a close up if you want.

· Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,033 Posts
it is just a quicker way to identify the goat when you are further away....not all of my goats are tame so it's hard to go up and fumble with the ear to find the number. I bought 2 goats with those tags already in their ears and the system works well. I have a few friends that use them. My scrapies tag number is on the bottom of the ear so you have to catch the goat and look on the under side of the ear for the individual number.

· Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,033 Posts
I like microchips as well. I have o tag mine too because of shows. My cousin shows the goats that are born here so all get tagged. I have 1 goat that is tattooed and that is because she was born here....I plan to tattoo this year too. In my 2 years of raising goats, I have never had a problem with tags...knock on wood....I have had 1 get infected but it healed in no time. I wipe my tags down in alcohol before applying them and it has helped with infection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.