The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
tags

Sunrise said:
Ok I have heard of thoses but what are they?
Scrapies tags are part of the USDA scrapies eradication program. The tags and the tagger are free, but you are required to get a premises i.d. in order to get them. Some people are opposed to the premises i.d. But, if you don't care, just call your state branch of the USDA (here it is the KSDA - Kansas State Dept. Of Ag.) and they take the info over the phone and you get your tags and tagger in the mail. They assign the premises i.d. number.

· Registered
151 Posts
Wisconsin tags

Shazzy said:
Does anyone know where I can get the tagging rules in my state? Or if you live in WI, could you please tell me what the laws are here? I think it's required, but I wanted to double check. Thanks!
Here is the link for the Wis. Dept. of Ag.:

http://datcp.state.wi.us/core/agricultu ... ulture.jsp

We stick a tag in right when kids are born and it's the only tag we put it in. Use that number for all i.d., records, etc. We are lazy. Once is enough for us.

· Registered
151 Posts
Ouch

Well, you know how it is - never say a goat won't do something, cause they will! I haven't had any problems, although I'm sure it happens. We try to tag way up, like mid ear - not toward the edges. I think that helps.
Now I will go out to check the does and find ear tags all over the ground!

· Registered
151 Posts
Re: Microchipping

getchagoat (Julie) said:
KY requires teh scapies tag to sell or show or move them. We are planning on getting microchips instead of tattooing to make things easier.
J- We started microchipping this past summer and love it. So easy, so quick, and the goat doesn't even know you did it. I think you will like it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.