The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I bought a super nice doe from a farmer at the beginning of the summer and she (the farmer) keeps earths on her herd... I only have three goats and they are pets... My question is: how do I get these tags off? I don't have any tagging devices as I don't want my goats to have them... My does tag seems to be bothering her quite a bit and I am always finding scabs around them... Anyone know how to get them off without further irritating her poor ears?

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Yeah like goatgirl said, just garden clippers/ hoof trimmers will work to cut them off and iodine or blue kote work.

·
14,615 Posts
Put her on the milk stand & have someone help hold her real securely by the head, they absolutely hate having their ears messed with.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Hey everyone! I bought a super nice doe from a farmer at the beginning of the summer and she (the farmer) keeps earths on her herd... I only have three goats and they are pets... My question is: how do I get these tags off? I don't have any tagging devices as I don't want my goats to have them... My does tag seems to be bothering her quite a bit and I am always finding scabs around them... Anyone know how to get them off without further irritating her poor ears?
Go to any farm supply store and, in the ear tag section, they will have a neat little device called a tag remover. It is a plastic handle with a u-shaped hook at one end. Embedded in the U-shaped hook is a razor blade. Slide it down either side of the does ear - I prefer the button side, but that is just me - and it will cut the tag without harming the does ear. The last one I bought cost something like 1.97, I think. Best part is that you don't need help. Put her in the milking stand, hook it behind the button and the tag will be out before she even knows what is going on.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
if its a full metal scrappies tag, dont use your hoof trimmers. In fact, dont use your hoof trimmers for anything other then hooves. They (the orange handled ones at least) are spendy. Get some wire cutters and cut both sides of the metal at the ear and it should just fall out.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
We use wire cutters.

If they are scrapies tags, you aren't suppose to remove them, however, if the goat has a sore under it, I would remove it. But keep it in the goats file.
If you sell the goat, the tag must go with the goat. Or use one of yours, if this goat is not registered.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If its a scrapie tag keep it for future reference. If you ever sell her the tag will need to go with her new owners

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Scrapie tags are not sjpposed to be removed by law as part of scrapie eradication.... which I am very in favor of. It is a prion disease that effects the nervous system by infecting the brain. Its not proven to be transmissable to people but a lot of prion disease are zoonotic so it is a possibility if you ingest the brain tissue from an ifected sheep or goat that you could in theory get scrapie. They tag by farm number so if any animal is scrapie positive at the packing plant they can trace it back to the farm of origin and determine what to do.

I would personally treat the ear with peroxide and iodine and turn 2x a day rather than remove it if it is a scrapie tag. If not the go on and remove and clean the ear.

·
4,956 Posts
Only need em for transport over some state lines or to sell at an auction. Other then that, no need to keep em in. BUT if you are worried about it, you can tattoo em instead. There is no policing agency that will come to your farm and make sure you have your scrappies tag in. They get torn out and or cause random infections.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
They can only be or should only be tattooed if they are registered.
The Scrapie tag should not be remover. If it is please keep it. It says what farm the goat came from " was born" incase it by some slim chance comes down with scrapies. If you don't have the record all goat in your county can and will be destroyed. It can be a lot worse trying to remove it.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
If its a scrapie tag keep it for future reference. If you ever sell her the tag will need to go with her new owners
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to remove a scrapie tag as it is a source for tracking a sheep or goat that tests positive for it.

·
4,956 Posts
... wow, well I guess even with something as simply as an ear tag we still get the typical two sided coin, even if it does, IMO, border on the hysterical and or comical. So im going to leave this thread with, remove em, register a herd name, get a tattoo, tattoo em, done. As the main purpose of the tag is so they can track the animal back to its origins, a tattoo functions the same way and eliminates the problems associated with ear tags.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
... wow, well I guess even with something as simply as an ear tag we still get the typical two sided coin, even if it does, IMO, border on the hysterical and or comical. So im going to leave this thread with, remove em, register a herd name, get a tattoo, tattoo em, done. As the main purpose of the tag is so they can track the animal back to its origins, a tattoo functions the same way and eliminates the problems associated with ear tags.
It is OK, to have a 2 sided coin, that is the way they are made.
We all have our opinions and are just trying to help the Poster.

Mollynath stated, these are pets, not registerable goats, from the beginning.

We assumed these goats had scrapies tags at first, until clarification was specified by Mollynath, they were identification numbers, not scrapies tags.

By law, scrapies tags are placed in a unregistered goats ear.

A registered animal does not need the scrapies tags as the tattoos and papers are identity of where they are from.

By law, scrapies tags are to remain in the ear of an animal. So removal should be the last resort and thought about before removal.
As mentioned, it is to identify, where that animal came from, in case of a scrapies outbreak and can be tracked back from where it originally came from.
If they are lost, the owner must replace it, if that animal is sold or taken to Auction.

If it must be removed because of infection, that person must keep it and put it on file and let it go with the goat if sold..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts