Ear tattoos?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by NevadaJoe, Aug 30, 2009.

1. NevadaJoe

NevadaJoe New Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I was curious, four of the goats we've rescued from the auction have tattoos in their ears, on both sides. Does this mean they are registered? Three are alpine, and one is a toggenburg. And if it does, is there a way to find out info on them by looking up their number?

Also, I just rescued a pygmy doe yesterday from the auction. She's about 7 years old judging by her teeth, and I found after we bought her that she has a tag in her ear, says US and then on the inside it says WA and then a number.. does this mean she could be registered?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As far as the pygmy does ear tag, it's likely that this is a Scrapie tag, meaning that she has been ID'd as scrapie free and I think the WA could mean Washington state :shrug:

The tats in the other does ears would mean that they are likely registered.....the left ear would be a letter and a number, the right ear would be the herd ID which can be traced with registries.

If you can, get the tattoos from both ears....post them if you like and maybe other members would be able to help you identify the herd they came from. The tat's in the left ears are the year they were born as well as their birth number in the herd.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, they are probably registered. The right ear tattoo will tell you the herd that bred them and the left ear will tell you the year they were born and their kid number. You would probably have to use the ADGA (or don't know if they have a saanan and toggs registry) directory and look up their right ear tattoos and see if you can find the herd.

Agree with liz on the pygmy.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ...with the others....they where.. likely registered at one time...and then sold as unregistered......As mentioned ...you can contact the association.....or lookup the herd prefix on the association website....to track down the original owner.....or even on the scrapies tag .. :wink: :greengrin:

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I wonder if they possibly were sent to the auction without papers because they are CAE, CL, or Johnes positive?? I have heard of that happening quite often. Normally you would want papers with them so they are bid higher at the auction. Hope that is not the case here.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    There is any number of reasons that registered goats are sent to the auction, #1 reason in this area is that there isn't a market for adult goats that need to be sold quickly due to hardship on the owner or the herd needs to be reduced due to lack of funds to be able to feed them. Sad, but most loving owners send goats to the auction hoping they get good homes instead of a "final" home.

7. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Why not send the papers along with them though? IF they are registered.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    True, thankfully I've not had to go that route and hope I won't ever need to.

NevadaJoe will find the answer once he is able to trace the tattoo's.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    They may or may not be registered. I tattoo all my wethers even though they aren't registered.

But why sell them if they have a disease and can be linked back to your farm via tattoos? :shrug:

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    One reason is ... a person is selling that goat ...cheap and doesn't feel ...that the papers should go with that goat.....in which ....is logical... because ....it may kill the market, if alot of people let the papers go....because of hardship or at ... very cheap prices....hope this makes sense.... :wink:

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Good points! Sorry, NevadaJoe...for taking your thread off topic! :oops: :wink:

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :thumbup:

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hi there :wave: I don't think that I have introduced myself to you yet (sorry!) :oops:

The tattoos may very well lead you back to the original owner. I know that there are times when I sell my registered stock as unregistered with option to purchase papers at a later date ...... so it definately would not hurt to track the original breeder and find out the history on them - just for your own knowledge.

Are these does, wethers, or bucks? Ohhhh, and we LOVE pictures!!! hehehe

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I have sold without papers before because of an animals udder or small stature. I sell them as pets. If a doe freshens or has a horrible udder, I don't issue papers because she's not adding traits to the gene pool that are desireable.

That being said, I generally send papers reguardless. There've only been a couple I didn't sell with papers and it was due to the buyer preferring a lesser fee instead of paying full price to get registration too. I don't offer that option anymore on does. Does are worth a set price, papers or not to me. I don't sell unregistered bucks anymore either.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

They may or may not be registered. I tattoo all of my kids for my records. Even if they dont get registered.
    AS far as sending animals to auctions without papers i have done it every animal i have sent to the auction. (all bucks in my case) I usually have spent a good deal f money on that particular animal and they are worth it. Buster for example, i paid over $700 for, he turned up positive for CAE as a two year old. Most likely from a show or my neighbors goats she he bred. I sent him the the auction and got $60 for him. In my opinion its unfair to me to send a papered animal to the sale barn when i have put so much into him, just for someone else to go and get him for basically nothing, papers and all.
    beth

16. NevadaJoe

NevadaJoe New Member

Apr 27, 2009
    That's alright! I like reading all of this, it's great info for me!

Two are wethers that we bought as bucks, and one is a doe. Is there any place to look up the tattoo numbers? Because when we bought our two boys they had papers tied around their necks that listed their tattoo info and their date of births. I'm not sure I'd be able to get a clear reading from my doe though, and she's the one I want to find out the most on, because she got Grand Champion and Reserve Grand at our local fair this year, with state fair coming up. I've always toyed with the idea of breeding her if she was registered (and of course clear of all those diseases) but I don't want to breed her if she's not registered. Plus I just like the idea of knowing a bit more about them, such as my does date of birth.

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    On the right ear can you make out any of the letters at all?

18. mmhbs

mmhbs New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Hope you told auction house the animal has CAE.Bought my starter goats that way who then turned up symptomatic.Real low class to dump a CAE positive animal on unsuspecting bidders!!

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mmhbs -- auction houses animals mostly go for slaughter -- thats why I never suggest you get an animal from an auction house. Always go to a breeder and ask questions. A lot of auction animals are positive for diseases.

20. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't think they do have CAE??? I also agree with Stacey.

A good way to check tattoos is wait til it's dark out...take a small flashlight and shine it behind the ear and it will be easier to read it then to look at it in the light. :thumb: