Early drying up?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Michaela Van Mecl, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Is it expected that even with consistent twice daily milking , a doe will start to decrease her milk production ?

It seems to me that my nubian first refresher seems to be slowly decreasing her milk output. At first it was consistently at least a quart twice a day, but I just came in and she milked out a pint and a half or maybe a tad less. I haven't been measuring the pails because I've been discarding due to routine deworming . It's her second round and she's been done for four days now.

I haven't deceased her feed. Shes in great body condition and gets about 1.2-1.4 lbs of grain mixture twice a day. It's a pound of 50/50 corn and barley , 3/4 cup alfalfa pellets , half a cup of BOSS and a sprinkle of beet pulp. She also gets replamin once a week and nutridrench twice a week on the maintenance schedule

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Could she be in heat?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  4. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I haven't seen any of the traditional flagging and other behavior yet, but yes she could be getting close! It's that time. Will that cause a drop off?

MadHouse likes this.
  5. MadHouse

Yes!
    Mine dropped to half their regular production for a few days.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Well that makes me feel better! It resumed to full capacity?

7. MadHouse

Yes!

8. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Oh good! I'll keep an eye on it and cross my fingers! I just started making lotions and it's really taking off, AND I just started a herd share....I was super annoyed thinking that it's my luck that my doe dries up just as soon as I get all of that together lol!

MadHouse likes this.
  9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    As the seasons change, many start drying themselves up. At only a quart a day, she wasn't a heavy producer, so I would think this is expected. I like to dry up before breeding to give bodies a rest, although I have a two year old that I'm struggling with. After 2 months I'm finally down to about a gallon every three days, so we are getting there....

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. MadHouse

You mean, someone bought a share of your goat for milk?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Yes exactly!

MadHouse likes this.