Early heat in doelings

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Jun 15, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well this is the second time I've had this happen, a "baby" having her first heat at 4 months old! The only does that I raised from babies are the 3 I started with and they each had their 1st heats at 6 -7 months old. Angel was 4 months last year when the "oops" whose name is Lily, happened. Heidi, Tilly's doeling won't be a full 4 months til the 20th started to act the way her mom does...screaming and belly hunching and she was swollen under her tail...The only difference that I have come up with being the reason that Angel and Heidi started very young was that I have bucks now...with my first 3 the bucks weren't here til they were over a year old.

Any other insight? The fact that theres 3 bucks here(3x the testosterone!) could have brought the baby girls into heat "early"?? :shrug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes they could be part of the reaons but also when you first started with goats you may not have noticed their first heat as young things. Also you have more does too with could be helping to bring their hormones around faster.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks Stacey...Well at least there is something to having bucks here. When I take Binky to her breeder to be bred in November, I'll at least know when she is in. Heidi is a short round pygmy...short in leg as well as body and not nearly the size Angel was at the same age...she is definately in my sights from now on as I won't be as lucky with her as I was with Angel, she will be no where near those rotten boys til next fall!