The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
sydmurph
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, having second thoughts about this whole goat keeping endeavor. . First, my 2 week old pygmy buckling was being suddenly rejected by mom when they came to our farm. It's been two weeks holding down and wrestling mom to feed him; which worked for a while. Now she won't even tolerate a latch. He won't take a bottle.
To add insult to injury, the buckling is just used to the rejection now. he doesn't really seem to care. He used to know when I had mom's collar that it was feeding time...and it was his cue to dive under and latch.....Now all he wants to do is hump her! I'll hold mom and he will try to latch once (for a second or two), she will kick and struggle...guess he knows it's futile, and he says 'to heck with this', and walks away or mounts. He is constantly humping her. Never touches the other doe though. I'm tired. I have a baby that doesn't want to nurse, only wants to hump mom. I have a mom who has never wanted to nurse and her fights with me are now uncontrollable. And a cranky, nosy doe that always has an opinion about everything mom/baby/We do.
Should I just give up trying to intervene? He munches a bit of ration and eats the odd blade of hay. Is this natures way of telling me he's weaned despite my best efforts? He doesn't appear sickly at all. In fact, He seems big for nursing. He almost barely fits under mom anyway. Verifying age with the seller but to my memory he was born mid may. Way too young to be weaned!!! Confused. And bruised. Frustrated. I dread the barn now because every timei go out I fail to feed or solve the problem. I keep secretly hoping I'll go and catch the baby nursing. Hasn't happened yet. Please share your thoughts, I'm so open to hearing what others would do in my situation....tx

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
At two weeks he wont need or eat grain...he needs milk only..buy whole cows milk from the grocery store..make sure to weigh him to know how much to give....go slow since its a change...I would add a bit of karo or mineral oil to the bottle ( maybe 1/2 teasppon?) to keep him regular...I would only give him a few oz at a time until his tummy adapts..if his weight says he needs 4 oz every four hours..only give 2. make some electrolytes to feed him if he still wants more..(up to the 4 oz) after day one...then go 3 oz...then go 4..back off anytime there is change in his poop or if he actin like his tummy hurts...heres a good elector recipe : )
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses ( or any you have or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

1 - 2 of 2 Posts