The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this was quite alarming, but i saw a few other posts that sound similar. My bottle baby, his sister has been on mom since day one. Today at lunch, i found a piece of goat on the ground but couldn't figure out who it belonged to. Well after work, i was feeding and saw Judes is missing about an inch of ear. After i finally caught her, her other ear tip is folded over and feels like its gonna go next. I tried to unfold it, but she let me know she didn't like that. Her and her brother are going to be a month old on Friday.

The only thing i can think of is MAYBE frostbite, but he was the one that almost froze to death. So far i don't see anything wrong with his ears. She has just a scabby area where it came off, but it doesn't look swollen or inflamed, infected, etc. She's also acting fine.

Also, one of my big boys has been itching and rubbing hair off. Vet said it was fungal and should resolve on it's own. Thoughts? Treatment?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
That meme lol. But that baby is adorable. And I agree looks like frostbite.

On your other goat..could be mites..sinceit's a large area...I would either grab MTG For horses and spray the area 2 times a day or if you have nustock, you can dilute it for a spray. Both are the same. I have done both with good results. I would also give a shot of ivomectin 1 cc per 40 pounds sub q once a week for 3 weeks..see if there is any improvement.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That meme lol. But that baby is adorable. And I agree looks like frostbite.

On your other goat..could be mites..sinceit's a large area...I would either grab MTG For horses and spray the area 2 times a day or if you have nustock, you can dilute it for a spray. Both are the same. I have done both with good results. I would also give a shot of ivomectin 1 cc per 40 pounds sub q once a week for 3 weeks..see if there is any improvement.
I'll have to maybe try a couple different things? It was a lot more scabbed up and thicker/harder than it is now, so it has gotten better as far as how the skin feels, but he's lost more hair. The good thing is that it's warming up, so won't have to worry about him keeping warm as much. Hopefully we don't get too many more cold snaps. I'll have to hit up TSC and get a couple things. My vet seemed sure it was fungal, from the pics I sent him awhile back. I can post those if needed.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
*she - Don't misgender my goat, lollll. She really is a doll! And also really hard to catch, especially 11pm! I had to put her down after a minute, she was NOT a fan. The neighbors probably thought I was murdering a child. lol
apologies on the typo! I knew she was a she....sorry!

Yes, please post those pictures.

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
While it could be fungal..could also be mites. The Nustock or MTG will address both while ivomec will address mites as well. If its mites...he will need both internal and external help since that is pretty bad. I would also feed him fresh raw garlic to boost his immune system which also will help him fight

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks better than this now, fortunately, as far as the skin goes. It's much softer, less scabby/scaly. He may have rubbed the hair off, so definitely going to get something on him. I don't have a worming schedule setup with the herd yet, my understanding is there is some concern here over resistance by doing too much preemptively? With my ex, i know she wormed the horses with ivermectin in the spring and fall. I've seen posts about people making home-made dewormer balls? I've never really put much faith in the natural-holistic approaches. lol But i will admit to my ignorance on many things goat-related, but i'm learning daily.

I see the MTG at TSC, so I'll pickup some of that tonight. I'll get some Blue Wound-Kote as well. Any particular brand of pine tar shampoo? I don't see anything at TSC jumping out at me. I bet he'd LOVE a good scrub. I wish the boys would quit peeing on themselves lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like first bite is likely and your boy either has mites or mineral deficiency.

Follow @happybleats treatment and add a zinc supplement - I recommend TruCare4.
I do have the Manna Pro minerals out for them, free choice. Is that not enough as far as that goes? The other two boys with him seem fine, i'd think they'd be deficient as well? Of course, there are no certainties. They also get plenty of high quality hay, and i feed them 12% all stock daily, in moderation.

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
If you post full body photos of the goats we can identify mineral deficiencies. Loose minerals free choice are a great start, but the grand majority of goats in the U.S. need additional mineral supplementation beyond the loose minerals as well. The soils are just very depleted from history of agriculture.

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
I see the MTG at TSC, so I'll pickup some of that tonight. I'll get some Blue Wound-Kote as well.
Don't do both. See if the MTG helps first. Give it time. A week or so of 2 times a day. You should start to see hair growth and softer skin

1 - 20 of 36 Posts