Ears?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Jul 5, 2008.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    If I breed my Nubian/Alpine to an Alpine buck is there a good chance of getting upright ears or would it be better to breed her to a Nubian, to try and get correct ears to have the kids reg. as Recorded Grades?

2. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    This is the doeling in my avatar,and as you see she can control them a little bit,they do lay down more now,but they're still not as floppy as a Nubians would be.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You may or may not get the Alpine ears with kids of this breeding....but if those kids were bred to another alpine the chance would be greater for the upright ears as the Nubian would progressively be bred "out" with each generation. :shrug:

4. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Would they still be registerable?

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I wouldn't know about that one, sorry :shrug:

6. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
  7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i think that if she was bred to a alpine or a nubian her offspring could be registered as experimental, record grades and if they look like alpines or nubians could also be registered with native on apperarance.. i know everything i just wrote it confusing so i got the link off ADGA for you to read about.

http://adga.org/RegistrationApplicationInstructions.htm

8. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok,I understand what you meant. :)

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    haha at least you understood it. i read it after i posted and was like whaa??

haha good luck!

10. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
  11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

it looks like she inheritated more alpine traits then sh did nubian. If bred to an alpine buck her kids' ears will be large but they should go more upright. If you breed her to a nubian buck you will get more down ears but they will be shorter then the standard for nubian ears. She looks like she has a pretty straight face, i would breed her to an alpine buck if i were you.
    beth