The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BOER GOAT has folded over ears?!?! Is that normal???!? And if I breed her is she going to have offspring with folded ears?!?? Last thing, are they ever going to unfold?!?!?
PLEASE HELP!!!!! ASAP!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, there are some Boers that has folded tips on their ears. Some breeder would 'pop' it (force it open) within a few hours of birth and tape the ears. It sometimes leave scars where it was folded. At this point, it is not going to unfold. Her offspring may or may not get folded ears. She can still be shown and it is acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Ears like that are OK and acceptable, as mentioned, if you want to correct them at birth, you can do so. ;)

As to the price.

Are they registered?
FB
PB
Commercial no papers?
Have faults, bad teats ect

It is best to check your area for prices. CL as mentioned, may be a good start. Or websites of breeders in your area.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My BOER GOAT has folded over ears?!?! Is that normal???!? And if I breed her is she going to have offspring with folded ears?!?? Last thing, are they ever going to unfold?!?!?
PLEASE HELP!!!!! ASAP!
As I understand it, if it is just the tips that are folded it is no big deal. If they are folded vertically, however, it is a big deal. Some will unfold, and some won't. Personally, I don't worry about the tips being folded.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
You know, I really don't know the answer to that question! ^ I think I looked it up at one point, after I panicked when I saw it on one of our kids for the first time... but can't remember what I found if anything!

We have had triplet's born where 1 or 2 will have it, and the other(s) won't... It's strange. I do think it is in the genes though as I see mother/daughters with folded ears a lot. None of our adult goats have it, yet we got a couple kids with it this year, so maybe it is coming from our buck!?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts