Easiest way to sterilize colostrum????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Paige, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I've heard of people using some type of Presto appliance to simplify the sterilizing of colostrum. Just not sure what I'm looking for :whatgoat: . Any advice would be welcome!!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not sure what that is ...but you have to be very careful and know what you are doing.... as colostrum... if it gets to hot.... will be no good...and kills off the good stuff ...that is needed within it.... :wink:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Pam... getting it too hot will render it useless.

4. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Easiest we have found is with a thermos. You are to keep it at between 135-140 for an hour. We fill a thermos with hot water while we heat the colostrum.Put colostrum into thermos and wrap in towel. After an hour check the temp in the thermos to make sure it held the correct temp for the hour. We first check with water if it is a new thermos. This way you don't have to stir for an hour and aren't tied up. We usually do a half gallon at a time and use a couple thermos bottles. We then fill 20oz pop bottles and freeze. It's easy at kidding season because you just drop a bottle into hot water for a few minutes then pop a nipple on it and it's ready to go.