East Coast(and anyone else who wants to come) meetup ...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Julie, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I just want to see who all would "SERIOUSLY" be interested in doing this. I have casually discussed with a few other ppl from the East Coast - about having a "goat get together" or whatever we would call it.

If anyone is TRULY serious about it ~ we will begin planning and get it all setup :D But only if we have enough ppl that are serious about comming to it. We would hate to make the plans and get everything setup, and have no one come. So serious "inquiries" only please. :)

The meetup would be for ANYONE (who loves goats of course) who would be interested in comming ! We would have it in the PA area ~ because that's where we (a few of us East Coaster's) discussed having it. And we know alot of members (between a couple different goat forums) that are in the PA/MD/OH/WV/NJ areas. Enough ppl to make this work :D That is, if you all are interested. You don't HAVE to be from the East Coast to come ~ but we are having the meetup place in PA. So it's up to you how far you want to travel. But everyone's welcome :D

ANyway, we didn't start planning anything yet because first we need to know what the interest level is. If we would get enough ppl interested - and would decide to do it, we would probably have a picnic (everyone bringing a covered dish and a drink), and if you would want to bring a goat or two along - go ahead :D That's your choice. Or not. Whatever's easier. And we would basically get together to meet each other, have a picnic, take tons of pics, and talk GOAT ! :D

So PLEASE - if you are truly interested in this and can travel to PA for it ~ let us know so we can take a number of how many ppl are interested. :D (just post a reply to this message and we will continually check it for replies)

THANKS !

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    of course I am interested but I would need a place to stay out there

3. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Ok, well so far from ppl that I've told about this ~ there are several interested :D From NY, PA & NJ so far.

Stacey ~ you are welcome in my home to stay :D Well, if you don't mind sleeping on the couch anyway ... since we don't have anymore beds. We do have a blow up mattress. ANd I doubt you'd want to sleep in our bed - since sometimes Jasmine crawls into it in the middle of the night ... hahaha ... I could see her doing that now with you in there ! Once she would realize, the poor little thing would probably cry her eyes out thinking someone gave her a new mommy ! ;-)

Anywho ~ I think we should do this meetup ! Hopefully we get more replies from people interested.
    We would have to plan for sometime between June and September though. Because I think it's to late to start planning for anything earlier than that. We need something far enough off to have time to plan appropriately, and for everyone to plan their schedules around. So what date/s do you guys think would work (those of you who plan to come to the meetup) ? Just start giving us ideas of when ~ so we can narrow it down to a date that works for everyone :D

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    June, and September are not good, End of July is out and early August is out.

So early July or late August

Sorry trying to plan around brother coming home, parents 50th birthday party other brother leaving for a mission trip, family vacation and goat kids being born and heading to new homes.

But if you make a it a weekend that works for others I will do my best to be there.

5. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    We would be interested! Would have to check the calendar but I think there is just 1 week in August that we are not available. Are there any campgrounds nearby?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    camping is fun...........

7. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Well, I was thinking of a country Park or Picnic/Playground area - that would be free for us to meetup at, or would be really cheap. Hate to do anything that costs very much due to everyone making the trip and the cost of gas, plus bringing covered dish and drink, etc.
    There's actually a couple places near my that I know of that would be really nice and either free or really cheap that we could do it ~ if ya'll would want to come to my area. I live out in the country. There's three places I was thinking we could have it ~

1. There's a nice picnic area and playground near me that has a few (I think 3) pavillions for picnics, plus a playground, and a building with restrooms. Also a ball field.

2. There's another picnic/playground area near me - but it's right in town (a small town called Meyersdale). It has 1 pavillion, a playground, and a ball feild.

3. Ever been to the highest point in PA ? Mt. Davis is the highest point in PA and my family all lives in that area. There's a really nice picnic area there that's fairly large, with a few pavillions, paths into the woods, Boulders outlining the parking lot (for goats to play on ;-) hahaha), Restrooms, and there's a tower about 1/2 mile from the picnic area that you can climb to see out over everything - since it's the highest point in PA. It's out in the BOONIES surrounded by state forest.

SO anyway, these are places that would be really nice that I know of - near me. But I don't know where exactly you'all would be willing to travel to for the meetup. SO let me know what works. If these places don't work - we can look in a different area. Just let me know and we'll try to figure out what works best for everyone.
    And if you'd like to MAP how far it would be to my area - go to http://www.mapquest.com and do driving directions to Meyersdale PA 15552

As for dates that work for me ~

June except for the weekend of the 14th,

July except for the weekend of the 4th,

August is normally a VERY busy month for us - that's when our fair is, and when me and hubby's anniversary is, and our church has a convention in Aug. so Aug would be really hard for me to plan for.

Sept. is normally pretty much open for me.

SO everyone else post the date/s you can do, and where you can travel to, and we'll narrow it down as we get your replies. :D

8. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Oh, and btw - regardless of where we have it - it probably should be near one of us that will be attending the meetup - that way the person near the meetup location can make sure the place is ready (can decorate, etc.) for the meetup. Atleast, I think that would be ideal :D

If we do it near me - in one of the locations I listed - then I will go and make sure the place is ready for us ahead of time, and will see about doing a little decorating, etc. :D

And would you's be interested in doing any kind of games ? Or do you's just want to relax and chit chat ?

And should we just do covered dishes, and organize it so everyone's bringing a different type of dish .... or do you's think that the person nearest the meetup location should make provisions for grilling burgers and hot dogs or something ?
    Ideas Ideas Ideas ... let me know what you's think & want :D

I like to "plan ahead"

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, I'm in. It's about 150 miles from me (Middletown, PA), if anyone wants to go and carpool, we can meet at my place and go from here. Unless everyone wants to bring a goat...in which case we can start a CONVOY! :slapfloor: I do have a truck with a full back seat so if its just a few of us, we can put some crates in the truck bed. Or I have a trailer, we could improvise! I'm flexible...so let me know. Sounds like fun. I can probably make any time work...(got a doe due in early July though).

10. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I might if I could convince my mom,and depending where it is. Where are you in Pa? Would this be a one day thing,wknd,or more?

11. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I think it would probably have to be a one day thing - due to families/kids/and animals that ppl have to take care of. So we could arrive somewhat early and have an all day thing :D Cause we want to make it worth while - so we don't want to just go for an hour or two and that's it of course. So like an all day thing I'm thinking.

OH - and I have some NEWS - My family has their own picnic area (it's been in the family for YEARS - my pap built/constructed it), and we should be able to use that picnic area ! This is good news, because instead of paying a rental fee - to make sure that no one else is there (like we'd probably have to do at other picnic areas) - we can jsut take up a voluntary donation (just to help with electricity, etc. costs). And plus - it's back at Mt. Davis (highest point in PA) so if you's want - we could go up to the Mt. Davis tower (overlook), etc. It's only about 3 miles from the tower. Our picnic area has a nice pavillion, with a little kitchen (with electricity), outside there's a fire ring, a pretty pond, and a restroom area. It's really nice, and since it's ours - no one will bother us there. It's out in the BOONIES - surrounded by forest. So we should be able to have it there if you's want :D

Meyersdale PA 15552 (go to http://www.mapquest.com and do the driving directions for mileage,time,etc.)
    The family picnic area is actually about 15 minutes from Meyersdale.

Ok - as for dates, let's see what works for everyone, so I'll give a date and let me know if this will work for everyone. I will have to verify with my family though - to make sure we don't have anything else going on for the date we pick - at the picnic area. But what does June 7th look like for everyone ? (we need someplace to start)

12. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    June 7th would be good for us. Maybe instead of bring a dish everyone could bring enough hot dogs or burgers for themselves and whatever else they want to snack on then just put it all together and start grillen. Al you would have to worry about then would be the grill.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like the grilling idea! Much easier IMO

maybe bring a desert or salad instead of a covered dish

14. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh come on...everybody has a "special" dish that no one makes as well as they do...I'll start, since I make the "best" potatoe salad in the world (I know that because my mother passed, and she used to make the best) I'll bring the potatoe salad. I'm OK with Julie making the site plans and letting us know how to get there.

15. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Ok then does June 7th sound good for all of you wanting to come ??

How's this sound then (for the food preparations) ...
    Each person/family - Bring enough Hamburgers and/or hot dogs and buns for your person/family. THen we'll just fire up the grill and grill like crazy ...
    And if you WANT to bring a covered dish - you can, but it's not required - it's only required that you bring your own Hamburgs/hotdogs/buns and a drink.

I will provide the condiments (Ketchup, Mustard, Miracle Whip, etc.).
    I can also pick up the paper plates, cups, and plastic ware.
    OH - and since you all are ok with doing it at the picnic area I suggested (my familie's) - I can get my mom's grill :D SHe lives right up the road (walking distance) from the picnic area.

If anyone wants to volunteer to bring a dessert or something extra - that would be appreciated, but that's up to you.

Our main thing is that we want to be sure we have enough main course food - the Hamburgers/hotdogs and buns. As well as drinks. So every thing aside from that (covered dish, dessert) is voluntary :D Does that sound ok with you all ?

Oh, and as for the voluntary dishes ... we will provide a list of what ppl have volunteered to bring. That way, if you would like to volunteer to bring a covered dish and/or dessert - you can look at the list to see what we already have listed - so we don't end up with a couple dishes of the same thing.

Volunteer Covered Dish List
    (what we have from volunteer/s so far)

1. Potatoe Salad

16. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I would be interested as well. I need to check my calender but June 7th may work for me as well. I know DI and I are farily close so would be able to meet her somewhere. But would probably bring a goat( faith loves car rides). We have alot of burger so would be glad to bring extra. You could put me down for pasta salad ( I don't know why everyone always requests mine when we are going to a cook out.) I have an awesome dessert recipe but not sure where you are, doubt it would carry well. I am from the york area. YEE haa, who doesn't love a Bar-b-que and with goat people its even better. Cathy

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    This is also posted on another site http://www.goattalk.freeforums.org that Julie owns and some mentioned that they could bring goats with them.

I to am doing that for Julie if Sweet Pea has a buckling and if she does commit to the purchase of Misty.

So if you have kids for sale.............. might be a good way to get them sold ;)

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Awww, to bad you guys don't live closer, I'd love to meet up!!

19. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    MMMMM .... Pasta Salad :D

If you want to map it to the road the picnic area is on > here's the FULL address (except a house number for the picnic area cause I dont' know what it is. But this is to the road it's on)

Vought Rock Rd
    Garrett PA 15552

(it's close to Meyersdale, but has a Garrett address)

And yeah - if anyone wants to sell/buy/trade anything ~ that's a good opportunity !! :D And btw - I have a couple of unregistered goats for sale ~ mini nubian mix kids, pygmy x nd buck, snubian buck, and a pygmy doe.

And yes - I'm HOPEFULLY I will be (if she kids a nice buckling instead of all does) getting a buckling from Stacey :D And might be getting Misty to :D

I am SOOOOOO looking forward to this meetup ! It's gonna be great !!

20. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh yeah! It's getting good! So, now we need Baked Beans....anybody? (I'll bring them if it's not somebody elses forte').

So, can we get a ball park figure on numbers of human mouths we'll be feeding? Sounds like we should have sanctioned a goat show! Do we have anyone who is experienced with shows, etc., who could give us pointers? Sorry, just "ruminateing". :roll:

So, I don't know if Hubby can come...so at most I'll be 2.