Easy way to give copper supplement

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by trob1, Dec 7, 2009.

1. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I happened across this page on an alternative way to give copper rods other than bolus with proof it works. Though some of you might enjoy this.

http://www.goatspots.com/copper.html

2. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

That link was very helpful! Thanks so much! I'm gearing up to do my first copper supplementing on one of my goats and I had heard about using marshmallows but just wasn't sure. Now I see it looks like an easy but effective way to go about it!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I plan to use this method once my copper arrives :D

as long as the goat swallows and doesn't chew the marshmallow it will act just like the capsule

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow..Teresa....that is very informative.....thanks for sharing.... :greengrin: :thumbup:

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Let us know how it works for you Stacey, sounds cool to me!

6. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Thanks Teresa, This is such anovel idea that I shared it with my yahoo groups. :leap: Thanks for sharing this with us. :clap:

7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you very much! I have heard of this method before but seeing is believing!

8. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    glad you all found it helpfull. I really loved the fact they xrayed to make sure it worked. I am going to try it too soon. I hope to see a difference in parasites.

9. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Anyone have a few copasure capsules they would sell? I only have 3 goats, and don't think I'd ever use all 25 capsules.

Seems odd that they don't sell smaller amounts.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I have some --- but I can guarantee when I will get to the post office next.

so if you need them ASAP I am probably not your best bet :p

11. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Whenever you could get them to me would be fine. I don't think it is urgent, (i'd like to do it before the last month of pregnancy) but the more i know, the more I think they are copper deficient. Esp with the black ones, they are showing the brownish color on their hindquarters, and their coats have started getting a bit rough - or maybe it was just hidden by their winter coat.

I just don't get why - I feed them goat food, they have been getting minerals all along - it just doesn't make sense.

Let me know how much (incl shipping) and I can send it via paypal. Probably should pm me. Thank you so much.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they dont formulate feed with enough copper for goats -- even some minerals arent enough.

PM me your address and how many goats you need to dose and I will send some out to you.