The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh. I thought you meant the bark will kill the goats 😂
Nope… assuming it’s a safe tree for them to nibble on then they’ll just really enjoy it.
My goats stripped a large branch that the wind blew down. Elm tree with a lot of still green elm seeds… they ate the seeds and stripped the bark and thoroughly enjoyed every last bit of it. 😂

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Reading through this made me laugh. I see how the misunderstanding happened. 😆
But yep! Goats love tree bark so much they will kill the trees. We have the stumps to prove it.
Several layers of chicken wire works. We have a pecan tree we do not care about and they do not strip the bark off of it. They walk around on their hind legs to eat the leaves though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Question what do you mean it will kill them , our boys have stripped lots of bark off the trees and nothing has happened to them ?
Over time it may. I have trees down a fence row of large pecan an oak trees. Some have just up and died. The goats rub on them, I guess maybe chewed on the bark, that maybe what caused them to die, I’m not sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goats and trees are like bees and nectar. The thing is, they really go for bark when they are missing a nutrient.
That’s what I figured which is why I started them on actual goat feed pellets instead of only having free range hay and forage and whole corn but they still do it. How do I make sure they’re getting all their nutrients?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts