Eating/Drinking?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Sep 21, 2008.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    We've had problems all along with the Lamancha doeling I got through the essay contest not being healthy. Now we think that the reason she acts so odd is that she may be either deaf or blind,which would explain why she's so unactive,doesnt really walk,and if she does, along the fence and only a few feet. But lately she's been losing weight,even though she always has water,minerals,hay,pasture,and gets grain every evening. These last few days she won't hardly eat/drink, so Ive been going down about every hour to try to get her to eat/drink,and she has nibbled at a little grain, and hay in the evening but she doesnt want to drink on her own,so I've been forcing her to drink. We're having the vet out asap to check her out. Hopefully, she can come today. Is there anything we could try to add to the water,or feed her to make her get more? :? Not really sure what else to try.

2. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    We're back from the vets. She had to be put to sleep. :cry: The vet said she didnt think anything could have been done,that she had neurological problems,and she believes it was Lysteria. :cry:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for your loss......:cry:....I wish it could of been different for you........ :tears:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ashley, I'm so sorry for your loss :hug:

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm so sorry but AT LEAST SHE ISN'T SUFFERING ANYMORE.

6. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks guys. I know it was the best for her,it's still sad though. :sigh:

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Oh, no...I'm very sorry for your loss. :sigh:

Not to be rude or anything--I know this must be difficult for you--but did you notice any signs/symptoms other than what you mentioned? I always thought Listeria was accompanied by a fever. I think it is quite contageous too...so you may want to keep an eye on your other goats if they've been in contact with her.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. :( :cry: :tears: Big :hug: :grouphug: to you.

9. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm really sorry that you lost her.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  11. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    "Oh, no...I'm very sorry for your loss.

Not to be rude or anything--I know this must be difficult for you--but did you notice any signs/symptoms other than what you mentioned? I always thought Listeria was accompanied by a fever. I think it is quite contageous too...so you may want to keep an eye on your other goats if they've been in contact with her"

Yes,we'd noticed all along that she wasnt normal,but we didnt know what was wrong,and she was otherwise healthy and eating,just her behavior was never like other goats. We just hoped she'd maybe get better,but she never did. I think she said that a fever was one symptom,but that whatever she had wasn't something contagious,which my other goat is fine and has never had any problems,and I hope she doesn't. There were a couple other things she thought it may have been,but that that was what was the most likely. :(

Thanks again guys

12. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So sorry for your loss! I'm sure she new you were trying to help her. :hug:

If you think she had "whatever it was" when you got her you should notify the breeder. I know I'd want to know.

13. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks. We did. :( Since it was through a contest to help promote youth and goats, he wants me to send him the vets note,and her papers back,and then they may replace her. I want to get one from another breeder though,because I didn't like the conditions of his place anyway,and Id rather get one from someone else this time. :( She did have it all along,but he didn't say anything about it,so I don't know if he was aware of it or not.

14. CountryGalwGoats

CountryGalwGoats Guest

Sep 19, 2008
    I am truly so sorry!!! It's so hard to lose one. :hug: Hopefully it makes it better when you can share your loss with us. You know we understand.

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :( so sad, you did the best that you could, and she isnt suffering. :hug:

16. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    :hug: First- I am very sorry for your loss. At least she's in a better place, kicking up her heels and running through grass.

BUT- this absolutely makes me furious. As a parent, I am apalled that someone gave you a sick baby goat (and the vet bills) as a reward for winning a contest. What the heck, honestly?? If I was your mom, I'd be calling whoever ran the contest in the first place and letting them know what happened. I would also let them know that the man has offered to replace the goat. I would not give personal opinions as much as possible (that you didn't like the way he keeps the goats, etc), but WOULD provide any info from the vet that shows this baby was sick when you brought her home. :angry: PEOPLE!!

Meghan

17. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I was thinking much the same thing. If is really was something that nobody could have predicted that is just sad, but it sounds like she was already sick when you got her and that is just irresponsible. It would be bad enough if this was a sale, but as a prize from a contest? What was he thinking?