Eating JUST Alfalfa Pellets???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Dec 20, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

My friend has ONE goat, shes very happy, not lonely or anything, but she is getting some friends

BUT My friend has been only feeding her alfalfa pellets, thats it. No grain because she HATES grain! But no alfalfa or grass hay

She has lots of grass, but thats it

She feels nice, looks healthy.

Is this good for her?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I personally have never fed pure alfalfa pellets as a diet for my goats. So I don't have that much experience with it, but my guess is if she's been feeding only that to her for awhile and she looks really good then I wouldn't be concerned. Also, not all goats need grain. I personally wouldn't put my goats on a pellet only diet, but if her goat is doing ok, then like I said, I wouldn't be concerned. How long has she been feeding her the alfalfa pellets?

3. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    My goats generally don't get grain unless they are in their last month of pregnancy or are milking. But goats need long hay like things to eat to keep their rumen working right. Maybe the grass you mention is adequate for that. They need stems and browse like things to eat. That is also why chaffhaye is not the best of feed for them. (Although it won't kill them)

Jan

4. TinyHoovesRanch

Kylee, shes had this doe for a couple months, shes pretty fat, not bloated though, and her coat looks good

She has a nice big area with alot of grass, but she just gets fed alfalfa pellets free choice

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It would be ideal for her to get some sort of grass hay or alfalfa along with the free choice grass, but maybe someone will post on here who has more experience with alfalfa pellets.

6. TinyHoovesRanch

If thats what she needs, then I will tell her to get some alfalfa for her. Thats exactly why I asked lol

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    When the weather is bad (like now) I feed solely alfalfa pellets, BOSS and grain. Have done that for years so I don't have to worry about the hay getting spoiled from the rain or snow. :)

8. TinyHoovesRanch

WOW!!! Really??

Thats actually a really good idea! So can they have free choice pellets? Like as much as they want?

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree..... goats need hay... to help the gut work properly..... even if it is once in a while... :wink:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Goats NEED Roughage, they have to have it to keep the littel flangies in the rumen active, even if their is pellets in her gut it will or I should say it CAN cut down becasue it does not know there is food in there.