eating shavings

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mistyblue, Dec 27, 2008.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    For the first time every i put shavings in the LaMancha's stall. I turn around and my doe Flower is laying in the middle of the stall eating the shavings. Is this going to be a problem, these are the Tractor Supply shavings that I buy for the horse stalls.

I know that they eat my trees in their pen, I just want to make sure that these shavings is not going to cause a problem and that it is like eating on the trees.

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would think it would be ok. Mine have eaten some in the past. I would see if it says anything on the box/bag it came in. Someone else could probably tell you better info.

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Here she is, as happy as a clam.

[​IMG]

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It shouldn't hurt her. Mine do that all the time when I put in new shavings. :)

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    She is cute. Does she have Alpine in her? I just wondered because her coloring reminds me of one.

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    That is good to know, i was a little concerned. As far as I know she is full blooded LaMancha but you never know as she was bought from a BYB with no papers.

Hmmm, looking at this pic again, I either have to cut back on the feed or someone is expecting, she just does not look that fat standing up. :roll:

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    :ROFL: She looks good! (You better hope she doesn't read this!)

8. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Oh Lord, didnt think about that, strict internet montering from now on. She would never forgive me for calling her fat. :worried:

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yes, here is what happens, I called my goat fat. The next day she was fatter,so I gave her less feed and she continued to get fatter so she could aggravate me. We had to go to a show and she was so fat that when she didn't want to move she did a summersault. I think that goat hated me....

10. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    LOL, you now owe me a new keyboard. I can actually picture that happening, and if anyone tells my girl I called her fat, I will never be at peace with her again. She is very sensative you know, gets affended if I dont pet her, anytime she wants. :roll:

11. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    When we go to the county fair we are required to put down wood shavings. Our goats eat them for the first day or two but then they seem to leave them alone. It has never hurt them as far as we could tell.

12. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I think it is just a "goat thing". Our does will start munching on the fresh straw we put in their barn or pens at the show.

13. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Sounds like my pygmy doe...she is a little queen bee if you know what I mean! She beats up the boers for attention!

14. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    It will not hurt them to eat shavings. i use pine shavings and my girls can't wait for me to dump the bags, they dive into them as if they hadn't eaten in a week. Your little lamancha does look like she has Alpine in her. She is cute and only a little plump. :)