Ebony problem! *vet update*

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Crissa, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay, I put Ebony up with the other goats a couple weeks ago, well she hasn't gained ANY weight whatsoever, and today her rear end "collapsed". She wasn't trying to lay down or anything, just all of a sudden she lost control of it. She's fine now, eating, drinking, I'll take her temp in a few. What could this be? I'm taking her to the vet on Monday to get a checkup anyways. I brought her home so I can keep an eye on her as well.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Ebony problem!

If she's been bullied and not been able to eat what she needs, she may be deprived of nutrients.

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Okay so should I just see if I can get her weight back up while she's at my house and then since I have to seperate Lyric and Finale soon anyways for milkings maybe I can just start seperating them again? Poor little thing, I can't believe I let it get this far. :oops:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I assume that you do feed them a grain mix, is it at all possible to be sure that she is eating her share without being pushed by the big girls? I would still check with the vet, she may just need a supplement , any chance she could be selenium deficient?

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Yes I feed them a Dumor feed. Plus free choice alfalfa. And minerals, I don't remember the brand though. I can seperate them during feeding time, but it's difficult at the moment. I have to redo the dividers. Um, I don't think she could be selenium deficient, but I'll have that checked at the vet too, I'm also going to get her tested for cocci again. (I was going to do that soon anyways) She's sleeping in my room right now. (again,lol)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

possible dehydration. I would get her hydrated

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

She did drink a bunch before I brought her home, and she did drink when she got here too. Hhmm, that may be it. I'll watch her and offer her more water.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

offer her water with some electrolytes. she may only be drinking when you are around as she finds comfort with you since she was an only bottle baby in the house for so long.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree with stacey ....that could very well be..... :hug:

10. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas

She didn't get hit by one of the others goats did she?

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Orion hit her a while back, but she didn't show any sign of a problem before. And Lyric very well may have hit her, just not while I'm there. (Lyric knows she doesn't get away with it anymore if I'm there) I think it may be dehydration though, with how thirsty she was acting.

12. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Okay now Ebony is looking bloated, I hadn't even had to the chance to up anything at all yet. I gave her a baking soda ball just a minute ago. I need to go get some Tums. :(

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

did you start her on the bottle again? sometimes that can cause a bloated look as well as lots of hay if she wasnt getting it before she might be gorging herself on it

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

She's had a bottle everyday since I moved her up with the other goats anyways, so that shouldn't be the problem. It might be the hay. But just in case I shoved one more baking soda ball down her. I also did take away most of the hay, I left a little out for her.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

thats good.

how old is she? has she had her CD/T shot?

16. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

She's only 2 months, that's why the bottles haven't been taken away yet. She had her CD/T shot.

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well, it turns out she had cocci, pretty bad too. Got the meds going to give them to her for 1 week then go and get another fecal done on her. So wish me luck. (by the way she's the only one with cocci, everyone else is clear)

18. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    :hug:
    I'll be praying for you and her. :pray:
    :hug:

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow........I will pray for her........ :pray: :hug:

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    stress brought it on I am sure due to being moved from your house then with everyone else.

Glad to know she is the only one.

What are you treating her with?