Effective but inexpensive fencing

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by moonmilk_creamery, Oct 20, 2015.

1. moonmilk_creamery

moonmilk_creamery New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Hi guys!!

I am new to goats and I will be getting two oberhasli does towards the end of November. They will be living next door from me on a great property. I will be there at least 2x a day to care and milk them. Unfortunately the property does not have a back fence or fencing in-between the driveway and the house. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for some inexpensive but quality fencing that would work. I was thinking about 6' tall because this fence would be on the property line and I would not want any goats escaping to the neighboring yards.

I live in an urban environment so it would probably be about 40'x40'. Maybe cattle panels with a wood frame? Or pallet fencing? Any suggestions would help!

Thanks,

Marisa :D

2. LAIR-goat-farms

LAIR-goat-farms New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    I would go with cattle panels or the 6' fencing

3. AintGotNoCreekRanch

AintGotNoCreekRanch New Member

Jan 1, 2014
    ELECTRIC MESH FENCES!!!!
    (That's why my friend has)
    PROS:
    -ABLE TO BE ADJUSTED TO SPECIAL NEEDS (odd shaped pens, around trees... Ect..)
    -CHEEP
    -GOATS CAN RUB ON THE FENCE AND TEAR IT UP (it's electric do yeah you get the point)
    You can switch it on and off though..
    I CAN'T THINK OF ANY CONS.... :)

HOPE THAT HELPED!!!

❤Kayla❤

4. AintGotNoCreekRanch

Jan 1, 2014
    I have chain link... Love it too not sure about the price because mine was free because it was used and we just cut it up. :)

❤Kayla❤

5. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Electric fence is AMAZING.
    I use it for my goats, and I can put them just about anywhere. It can be "permanent", temporary or anything in between. You can make into any shape you want! It's very long lasting. Don't have to keep replacing it cause goat wreck it - yeah, even bucks leave it alone! Wildlife leave it alone. Goats leave it along. People will leave it along ;) And yes, there is a trick to getting over it without getting shock!

Only cons are:
    If a goat doesn't know what it is, they can get tangled in it. Fix: WATCH them until they get a couple good shocks and stay away from it.

Kids can fit through some models of it. Fix: Watch them till they figure out what it is, it doesn't take them long!

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    These are all great ideas, however if you are in an urban area you will probably need to check with your zoning regulations. They may prohibit or limit the type of fencing you want - specifically electric - at least in the urban areas around here. I'm sure you already checked to make sure they allow livestock...... good luck with your project!

7. AintGotNoCreekRanch

Jan 1, 2014
    Another fix to keeping the kids in is lining the fence about a foot up with another material...that's what my friend does

❤Kayla❤

8. moonmilk_creamery

moonmilk_creamery New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Can you recommend a certain brand/model that you like? I know some people have said stay away from premer.

9. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    I have cattle panels with a wood frame on the front(because it looks really nice) and chain link around the back and sides. All and all I prefer the cattle panel with the wood frame,it works really well to keep everyone in(haven't had an escape yet) and is pleasing to the eye. Yes I agree, you very much need to check with your zoning regulations to determine what you can and can't have, electric may not be an option especially in an urban area, also in some areas your fence has to face a certain way pretty side in(toward your house) or pretty side out(toward the road) depending on the type of fence. You also may need to find out where underground electrical and pipes are before setting most types of posts because you could get fined big time and have to pay for damages if you hit a pipe and/or underground electrical. My dad is owner of a fence company and has been fencing for 25 years(since he was 13) so that is why im filled with these fence facts Lol

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016