The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been looking to get an egg incubator that can hold anything between a small chicken egg to a large duck or turkey egg...we have looked at both the table top styrofoam kind to the cabinet type...

help us decided what to get !!! too many choices..too many reviews UGH...we want to make the best purchase for our money :D

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure...we want to sell chicks so 50 or more at least I think..??? I really like the cabinet type ...

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
I would go cabinet...I have 4 tabletops and they are hard to regulate and take a lot of babysitting...I know you are too busy for that! I am too, so I lost quite a few this year...If I had the cash, I'd go for a cabinet style that regulates temp/humidity...save you a fortune and a big headache down the road!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what Im thinking...I read a lot about the table tops and how even the house temps mess them up....And in Texas you cant tell what the weather will be from one minute to the next lol..But man they nearly $600!!!..It would take a lot of chick sells to earn that back lol

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
yup, I know....but if the room temp goes up or down just a few degrees....the tabletops go off too. If you need to get one of those, I would plan on checking it every 2-3 hours all day/night....seriously, it's annoying...I lost 100.00 worth of turkey poult eggs from ONE time not checking overnight!The temp dropped from 99 (forced air fan)to 97 and they all died.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
We have been looking to get an egg incubator that can hold anything between a small chicken egg to a large duck or turkey egg...we have looked at both the table top styrofoam kind to the cabinet type...

help us decided what to get !!! too many choices..too many reviews UGH...we want to make the best purchase for our money :D
My husband is the egg incubator person in our house ;) but he would say the cabinet type. The basic foam ones you can find at TSC or the coop is fine for quails but not chickens, ducks or turkeys. My husband had a massive learning lesson when he changed from raising quail to trying to hatch ducks and learned that those foam table tops had too high an error rate in temp fluctuations.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys...its one of those things you already know the answer..but hope there is a better one LOL..cheaper any how...lol
We want to hatch out turkey ducks and chicken..Our hens are not having luck ...either they eggs go bad (of so gross bad!!) or the snakes are getting them....might have to just buckle up and fork out the dough :sick::mecry::worried:

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No peeking yet...guess that wouldnt hurt : )

·
2,203 Posts
I love our cabinet. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think we decided to get a cabinet ....on a good note...our turkey hen hatch a chick :) one tried to hatch but didint make it ; ( so....out of 80+ eggs , we have one chick so far..LOL..the other hens are still laying and we are still stuffing them under her..

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got my incubator today!!! We decided on the Classic GQF Model 1202A Sportsman Cabinet Style Egg Incubator : ) My turkey hen has hatched out 6 babies so far...I would like to see more this season...: ) and ducks and chickens ...We are pretty excited..., Now we just need our chickens to increase their laying lol...Turkeys are still laying but slowing down.so this season is going to be short...but we will practice so we are ready for next season for sure...

·
2,203 Posts
EXCELLENT choice!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I have a question or two or three lol, for those who use this cabnet or simular...we put in a sampling of eggs to try our incubator out..a few chicken, duck and turkey..

its getting close for the "wick" thing and the instruction is very vague on how to go about this...

we recieved a card board "hatching tray?" and are suppose to slide it on the bottle ..ok..so where do we put the wick and do we remove eggs that are beginning to hatch to the card board hatching try?? they sent nothing but a small two page leaflet to hep us lol, will opening and closing the doors mess with temps and humidy?...Also chicken hatch at about 21 days where duck and turkey at 28 days..will this mess things up putting the wick in for the chicken eggs? We didnt think this through when we put the egg mix in...I know our hatch rate for this run could be low.but we want to learn how to use this for successful hatching...Yesterday was given 6 beautiful, I mean outstanding Blue Giant roos...Oh my..they are so soft...so now I want hens to lay for me to breed some of these amazing birds...they are so pretty...we figure we would keep one or two of these roos and butcher the others..but when we saw them lol..hubby said ..wow..I hate to butcher these guys..they are handsome birds lol..so we shall see..but any who....any advice on a successful hatch is appreciated..THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we have the tabletop kind with a fan and automatic turner, it holds 48 eggs. we had great luck with it twice and the third time somebody forgot to put water in it and we lost the all but 2 of the batch. we werent out much so we will try again next spring. we have hatched chickens turkeys and peafowl in this incubator. sure the cabinet kind is nice, but thats alot of chicks to pay for it.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes it is a lot of chicks to pay for it....but thankfully there is a market..I already have people waiting for us to get it right lol

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
sounds like you have made the right choice. after we lost the batch we gave our broody banty hen all the eggs she could handle and wow is she a proud mama of a dozen black chicks. they are a banty buff orp. cross. last year she hatched barred rocks that soon outgrew her but the one rooster was a mamas boy about three times her size by the time we sold him!LOL

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol..we have little mil de fleur who broods better than any hen I have had..lol..she hatched out 7 of her and her sisters eggs and then a few larger ones successfully...we had one broody turkey hen that gave us 6 hatchlings...and one chicken who gave us four mix mutts...lol...Hopeing the incubator does better for us...plus we deal with snakes eating our eggs..so hopefully we can beat them to it lol..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts