The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 10 barred rock pullets from 4H and 2 RR pullets and 1 Cornish cross,
all 13 are approx 4 months old. I have had for 3 years 2 RR hens and a bantam Cochin partridge rooster. Pics attached! My question is about the mature RR hens, they were mature layers when I got them. So I don't really know their age. They have been very regular producers, till about the last 2 weeks and nothing. I wonder if the growing pullets are upsetting them, the hot and dry weather in southeast Tennessee, or maybe the girls are just DONE ?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
In my experience all chickens take breaks. Usually in very hot weather they will pause til it cools off. They also quit in the colder winter months. Even our red stars who usually lay an egg per chicken every day took breaks occasionally the bad thing is when one does they typically all do.
I seriously doubt they are done. Give them a little time to pick back up with their laying.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was getting 2 eggs every 3 days, like clockwork for 3 years. Seems I was spoiled. My 18 year old daughter loves to bake, but will use only the brown eggs of the RR hens. She is panicking that she might be forced to bake with store bought white eggs. Gross!

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
LOL...tell her color of the eggshells has no meaning for nutrition, only what goes into the hen :)

I would say they are taking a break due to heat....eventually though, they will stop laying, but I don't think it'd go from 2 a week to zero like that. I have a 6 year old NH hen that lays 3-4 a week still....but when it was hot for a couple weeks...she laid nothing....

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I know. He will attending the chicken show and sale on September 21st at the 4H returning of chickens. Maybe no one will notice, he acts very feminine.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
Try having 50+ chickens and only 1/2 dozen eggs a day URGGGGG:mad:

·
2,203 Posts
Try having 50+ chickens and only 1/2 dozen eggs a day URGGGGG:mad:
I know what you mean! I have three broody hens sitting on 18 eggs a piece and maybe pulling 4 eggs out of the rest of the flock (50+ as well).

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still coming up with nothing, almost 3 weeks now. I don't remember my girls ever taking this long of a break. It is very troubling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts