The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me if you can. I have a 13 year old Sable doe that has been having issues with a respiratory infection/pneumonia for the past 6 weeks or so. Prior to that she has been very healthy, I stopped breeding her when she was 6 because she would milk off her back and look worthy of a visit from the ASPCA no matter what I fed.

I noticed that her breathing was noisy about 6 weeks ago and treated with LA200. Other than the wheezy breathing she had no other symptoms. It seemed to improve, but then returned with a vengeance. She was lethargic and separated herself from the herd. Her temp. was mildly hypothermic and she never went off feed. I treated with Draxxin, B-comp, and Banamine, and she improved considerably other than the noisy breathing and put herself back with the others. I repeated the Draxxin a week later just to be on the safe side, and all was well (other than the still noisy breathing) until this weekend. Yesterday she had separated herself again, was fairly lethargic, and "fluffed up". She is still eating. Today she has considerable edema in her forelimbs, chest, and one hind leg. Her mucus membranes are pale.

She hasn't coughed much throughout other than a couple of days after she seemed to be improving, no nasal or ocular discharge, no diarrhea.

At this point I don't know what to do for her. I gave her another dose of Draxxin this morning right before I noticed the edema. I do have many medications on hand as I'm a vet tech, I have a call in to the clinic where I work but my boss is out on a call for the rest of the day. I have one other goat, her daughter, who is fine.

I thought about B12, dex, and poss more Banamine, but I hate to hit her with too much at once. I know she's an old lady, but other than these setbacks she is in great shape for her age and still living a good life.

·
8,197 Posts
Is the vet an option? Lasix would help with the edema, especially if it is around the heart, which would cause the wheezing.

Try elevating her front half to get that liquid out of her legs and chest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes I can take her in to the vet on Tuesday if necessary. I do have Lasix inj on hand but was leary of giving it. I just gave 5cc of B12 and dewormed, wondering if her illness has resulted in a worm overload.

ETA after doing more reading this afternoon, i'm suspicious of thymoma which is now compromising her heart as well as respiratory system.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
I agree with Karen, she needs a vet, a lot of over medicating with the same drug and it isn't doing any good.

If an antibiotic is not working the first time, we don't go with the same antibiotic again.

I agree with what has been said.

Also another possibility is she went sepsis. I would make sure a sterile needle is inserted and have the edema area tested and see what it is.

Trying to picture what it looks like.
It may need to be opened up, to drain and be flushed, so she can rid the bad stuff out of her system, not sure though.
Seek a vets opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts