Electric / Barbwire fencing question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Sep 10, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have an older lady who wants to buy 2-3 kids from me for weed control on their 80 acres of land. She asked me about goats with Electric fencing or barbwire. I have ZERO experince with either but I told her definately NOT barbwire, but that I would ask you all about electric fencing.

The goats are Boer / Nigerian with a hint of Saanan.

What do you all have to say about electric fencing? Does it work?

Thanks
    Allison

2. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    When we first got our goats a year and a half ago, we started out with metal T-posts and 4 strands of electric fencing w/a very powerful fencer. It wasn't effective at all. The goats would power through it, but then be afraid to go back in. We re-did it with woven wire and 2 strands of electric as back-up to keep them from climbing the fence - 1 wire about a foot off the ground, then 1 more at the top of the woven wire - that works like a charm. After 6 months of having the hot wire on there, we have shut it off 'cause the goats have learned to leave it alone.

We also have rotated pastures for our horses that sometimes get over-run with weeds. We tried putting the goats in the "resting pasture" for weed control, but they went right through the electrical wire again. Silly goats.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Maybe I have "wierd" goats.....I was wary of using electric a couple months ago and now have 4 hotwires on a 125 ft square pen /pasture for my girls....they learned the hard way as did the boys...they stay put and the boys stay out. Works for me :greengrin:

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Or maybe I just have stupid goats..... they'd go right through the electric fencing to get to me but of course they'd never go back in :sigh:

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well they have 80 acres of land, but how big of a pasture is she going to put them in? First of all, you have to make sure you have a good ground and that there are no weeds touching the wires. Otherwise the fence will be useless. If you space the wires properly apart and make sure you have a big enough charger, then you usually won't have any problems. It is extremely important though to keep the weeds off the wires. Personally, I would rather have woven wire. :)

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I've done lots of electric fencing in my time but not for goats much. I have used that electric netting from Premier1 with good success.
    I think that for goats you have to be much more serious about the fencing- wires spaced closer together and, as in all electric fencing, a good ground is imperative. When I had all hot wire here, I that three grounding rods pounded 6 feet into the ground spaced around the fencing- it gets dry here and grounding is harder in dry or rocky areas.
    One interesting idea I read somewhere else was alternating a ground wire with a hot wire with spacing that insures the animals will touch both together.
    I think why hot wire doesn't work as well for goats at times might also be that horses will test a hot wire with their nose and run back if bit- goats tend to want to bully forward when shocked.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When I first put my girls in the electric, te 4 month old doeling went thru it and ran under the barn! I caught her and put her back in the fence, she came thru the gate and stayed in the non electric part of their yard for over a week...would not follow the others into the field. She finally gave in with much coaxing from me and ever since that one hit, she stays away from the fence line. All it took for the others was to get too close and have an ear get "bit" or the top of a nose while eating under the bottom wire. The boys well, Teddy went straight thru one side and out the other, I got him on a lead and walked the perimeter with him....got a jolt myself after he tried to get in, I pulled him back and he now stays clear of it. Chief and Hank got nailed 1 time and that was enough. I tied flourescent orange plastic flags to the 3rd wire up so they "see" the fence, worked just fine. The 4 hotwires are spaced at 6", 7", 6" and 8" with a 6foot ground rod driven 5 feet and has worked well....and the trimming I've done to keep the weeds off of the wire........I have a 5 mile fencer and have used a 1/4 mile of wire on the "pasture".