electric cattle dehorner, can you use these for goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Like the title asks. :) I need to buy one for disbudding. I buy a lot of stuff on ebay, so I wanted to know before I purchased this.

Thanks!

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i don't reccomend it.. I have one from my old calf days and i've used it on goats for one set.. and it heats their heads up WAY too fast

3. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    I don't recommend them either. We have one too and tried it when we first got into goats and didn't have the goat iron. We used it on one goat and that was enough. Not only do they heat too fast but they burn a much bigger ring than needed. Half of the poor little goats head was burned! The calf iron works pretty good if you wait too long to disbud and need to burn a bigger horn base but that's about it.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Okay cool. Thanks for letting me know. I would have been sorely upset after spending money on something I couldn't use, and finding out that it would do much more damage than good.

Oh will someone show me what I need if I can find a used one?

5. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I use the Rhinehart X50 and bought mine off of ebay a few years ago. Now I did have to buy tips for it.

I know they make an X30 and something else too. Hope you find what you need soon.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    everyone has such great advice.........good job everyone......... :wink: :greengrin:

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    the x50 is way worth the money if you are gonna do kidds more than one time. It heats up nice holds the heat and comes with an attachment for goats, plus you can buy one for minis as well. It holds its heat well enough that you can do both sides of the goats head without waiting for a reheat.