Electric Fencers

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by hphorses, May 7, 2010.

1. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Solar vs plug in

What are your opinions on fencers for those of you who use electric fences with your goats? if solar what brand of fencer?

Thanks, Tara

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I use the plug in just because I have a way of lugging it in. I thought about the solar ones but they were so expensive.

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    We have a solar one with battery back-up for our chicken netting, and it works really well (but, like mentioned above, it was really expensive). I wouldn't ever do solar without the back-up, though, because there are LOTS of time I've noticed that our solar one clicks over to battery (really cloudy skies/heavy snow, things like that). We also have a plug-in one that we bought at the local feed store for $85 that we use on a small section of pasture. It increased our electric bill, and it's not as powerful as the solar, but it was A LOT cheaper.

Hope that helps,
    -Tina

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Not to go off topic here but how much does the fence charger raise the elec bill?

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a Zareba 5 mile fencer with 1 mile of fence wire I use it for a few hours a day and it costs just pennies a month to use. TSC has them and the 5 mile ones are less than $50

6. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    ok thanks for the replies!! We do have horses and when you have horses you have fencers LOL and they are all top notch fencers. I have a really good Pel 25 mile and a really good Stafix also 25 mile, and a Red Snapper 15 mile so I will just use one of those.. I was more curious about the solar but if they tend to go out then plug in is better!!

Thanks again, Tara

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks Liz.
    I may have to get one for the buck pen when the babies get a bit bigger. Hopefully everyone will respect the fence enough that I won't have fence breeders.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine are penned with galvanized goat panels, their "pastures" are off of these pens, accessible when I open gates, the electric pastures are 4 strands of aluminum with each wire hot and spaced at 6" intervals....my fence is only 2 feet high as mine aren't jumpers. The girls respect it more as they've been in the electric for 2 years and I've even run 1 strand of wire around their pen so I don't have to use the weed eater...they actually stayed in with just 1 wire placed 8 inches off the ground!

9. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ok so we just finished our pasture fence tonight and will let the goats on it tomorrow.. It is fencing off 2 and a half acres with a big tree/brush patch in it and what we ended up doing is 8 strands of smooth wire 6 inches apart and one strand of Barbed wire 6 inches on the top of that (Horses) all but the barbed wire will be electrified.. Wood posts spaced 30 feet with two tee posts in between..

Sounds good??

I will take pictures of the girls on it when we get them out.. I know livestock and it is never a good idea to put them on a new pasture just before dark lol I am sure goats are no different then horses in that aspect so they can wait until the morning!!

Tara

10. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    My experience with solar chargers has been bad. We purchased a Zareba 10 mile and it quit working in just 6 months! Switched over to plug in after that, can't afford to have the fence out! BTW my experience with the zareba brand is less than stellar. We have a parmak now fingers crossed it works for us.