The Goat Spot Forum banner

electric fences

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  naturalgoats 
#1 ·
We are finally to the point of getting up electric fence. We have horse fence but would like to run electric too -on the top, bottom and inside (to keep goats off the fence, dogs/coyotes off the outside and at least annoy the bear so he doesn't come in). I need specifics on which one you like (with a link if possible) and how you installed it. My father-in-law is an electrician, so not to worried about the electrical aspect. A lot of our fencing is nailed on trees due to the amount of ledge here and the minimal number of posts that could be dug. I also have children, so I am a bit concerned about teaching then to respect the fence. None of my goats have been electric fence trained either (and we have lots of kids). any suggestions would be great. :ponder:

#2 ·
My goats have never had a problem learning to respect the fence even though we didn't put it up till they were fairly old...... I'd say you'd be fine...... Not sure about children but I figure that after one good jolt they won't go near it again ... :) sorry, I'm not really that horrible..... but I think you'll be fine with them......I'm not sure what you mean by "which one" we have solid goat fencing from TSC ( http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/fi ... t--3660338) and just a strand of electric wire( just plain wire) something along these line ( http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/el ... ol-3601091) on top with a solar electric charger...
hope some of that helps!
Miranda

#3 ·
I have the horse fence that you have also (the first link). My issue is that the goats push on it constantly. We also have a very uneven hillside that is rocks, so it is hard to get them from going under it. (only 1 inch off the ground in most areas- some all the way down. What do you use as the insulator for the hot wire? What do you hang it on? We use mostly trees to hold the fence with some t-posts in the back. The front area has wooden horse fence lined with woven wire. Sorry- I am truly ignorant on electric fencing...

#4 ·
We just have the regular horse ones that you plug into an outlet. We had to use this due to lack of funds to fence the goat pasture. We used 4 strands and even 5 in some places that they got out at. Let me just say, we just bought some welded wire utility fence to put up in place of the 4 strand electric. We just couldn't keep them in. They would get down low and go under it, even while it shocked them they would just hurry up and race under it so they didn't feel the shock very much. It was rediculouse, some of them would not touch the fence, but that one bad apple taught the others how to do it withought getting much of a shock. We did have a select few that even seeing the others get out would not dare cross that fence, but it became a big problem when the 4 week old kids were following momma out to the horse pasture. When my 3 year old filly came running to play tag with the little goaties My heart sank. Luckily goats can run pretty fast when they gotta but we now have the utility fence up in place of the electric. We kept the top 2 strands of electric so if the goats stand on the fence they will get a shock on the nose and the horses won't be eating over the fence. They make an insulator that you nail to wood posts, visit your local farm store and check out the fence insulators. It's kinda hard to focus because they have so many kinds, but try to find the ones you can nail to the wood. Good luck

#5 ·
The goats have to be taught to the electric fence...preferably getting zapped in the nose. If they figure out how to move or pull it out with theirhorns..they'll never feel it. You also have to be sure you have a good ground. And make sure it runs HOT..... that way the first few times they dare to touch it will make them NEVER want to do it again. As for kids...drill it into their heads...you touch the fence you will get a BAD owy. Mine tend to hear the words dr. and shots will be needed in order to never go near a certain area. LOL

#6 ·
yeah, just get the nail on insulators and T-post ones for the T-posts you have. you want it at about goat shoulder height so when they come up to it and sniff it curiously they get zapped. you may have to add strands lower later on but you could probably start with just the one.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.