ELECTRIC FENCING FOR MY GOATS /HORNS

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by faintfarm, Jun 5, 2010.

1. faintfarm

faintfarm New Member

Aug 19, 2009
    OK HERES MY QUESTION I HAVE 4 GOATS AND I NEED TO MOVE THEM BECAUSE A SPRING IS MAKING IT MUDDY SO I BUILT AN ELECTRIC FENCE THROW THE WOODS. I USED UNDER A 1/2 MILE SPOOL FOR MY FENCE I HAVE 4 LINES ALL THE WAY AROUND I HAVE A 5 MILE CHARGER THAT GOES TO ABOUT 4,OOO VOLTS OR WHAT EVER THEY ARE CALLED BUT MY GOATS WALK RIGHT THROW LIKE NOTHINGS TESTER SAYS ITS HOT BUT IT DONT SHOCK ME HARD JUST TINGLES MY FINGERS MY KIDS GRAB IT AND GIGGLE
    I HAVE REPLACED THE GROUND POLE AND WALKED THE FENCE 10 TIMES AND NOTHING IS TOUCHING IT.
    PLEASE HELP MY HUBBY IS REALLY MAD CAUSE IT WAS MY IDEA TO USE ELECTRIC:)

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG DO I NEED NEW CHARGER ?

IS IT POSIABLE TO OVER GROND THE WIRE ?

2. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    How long is your ground pole, or actually how far do you have it in the ground? Sometimes if it is not deep enough it will not work, also you might need to add a few more ground poles further along the fence if your first pole is in the ground good.

Your fence is holding a charge as you are feeling the tingling while holding, that shows that your problem is more than likely your ground poles.

3. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I would like to add to make sure your grounding rod is the correct kind of material to conduct. Also, when I use electric, I ALWAYS use 3 grounding rods together. I pound them in 5' deep and about 1' apart.

It only takes something really small to be touching the wire to short it out, such as a grass clump. Also, recheck all your connectors (to the posts) and make sure the wire isnt touching anything it shouldnt.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    First, make sure the fencewire isn't arcing to ground on any metal....I was having a problem with mine in the beginning of the growing season and even went and bought another charger, it was actually because even though the wire wasn't touching the t-posts on the corners it was close enough to the metal that it was arcing to ground. I not only heard it snapping but it was just dark enough out that I saw it spark.
    I have 1 ground rod that is pounded in a good 6 feet in a spot that is always a bit wet due to the water that runs off the hillside.

5. faintfarm

faintfarm New Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I HAVE 2 GROUNDING RODS ONE IS 4 FEET DEEP AND THE OTHER IS 5 FEET DEEP

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Not enough grounding ...you need 3 rods 6ft long spaced 10ft apart. One solution is to make one of the 4 hot wires a neutral that is grounded to give you a better ground, say the second one from the bottom. Usually you need 5000 volts for goats because of their strong will. I run a 50 mile fencer on 2 acres to get the voltage up and they stay put.