Electric Fencing??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Nov 21, 2008.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Has anyone used electric fencing for goats? As in just a few strands of it...Not the netted kind. We were thinking of maybe doing this, but would it work alright. Any thoughts??

2. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We use it for our does and kids-there are 8 wires and a solar box- I bought the posts from Tractor supply- they have the slots to put the wire in already- No problems with it so far!!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes ..we have field fence and have a strand close to the bottom 6 inches or so ....and one on the top...kinda wish we would have one in the mid section ........but we haven't yet...
    It works good......... they stay away from it ..........after they get japped a few times..when learning...even the adults learn quickly for the first time.........One thing you have to be careful with is..... the little new born's ...they are not strong enough to get out of it..they can die because they cannot get out........so what we do is we watch them and train them to the hot line...if one touches it ...or gets hung up in it...we unplug it quickly....the kids run and yell for mom........never have it plugged in when you cannot watch the wee ones ...we wait until they are a little older and stronger....so they can escape ,before we leave it plugged in...and cannot supervise :)
    ours is electric :)

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Just make sure you have enough "zap" for them to feel it, and it should work great.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We have a single strand around the top of a main part of the goat pens. It's mainly to keep other animals out, such as my Grandpa's cows. :roll: One time they plowed through our fencing. . . . Grandpa upped the voltage and they haven't since! :)

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    We had a strand around our back pasture, where we kept the buck and whether, they like to stratch their backs on it, even though its pretty high voltage and it was always on. Didn't affect them, I touched it myself several times to make sure it was working.. I guess we just have some dysfunctional goats - when we put our does out there, they woudn't go near it.

7. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Amos, maybe they liked the jolt and took it as massage :slapfloor:

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I was thinking that, but then I ended up deciding they had brain problems. :wink:

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Alright, I think we're going to give it a try this spring. We just got some more property and the goats would have 12 more acres to graze on, but we were thinking of using electric and then turn them out in the day, bring them in at night. I think it will work alright. But we'll be using three strands, this pasture is also for the horses, so I was thinking top, middle, bottom and that migt work alright, trying to convince everyone of 4 strands, but we'll see. But thanks for all your help guys!

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use electric. You need at least 5 strands for nigerians. Since they are little they like to try and jump through the fence. And you need a really good zapping fence. My fence is so strong it knocks you over. :shocked: But that is the only one they will listen to.

11. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We don't use electric, we had it for our Great Pyrenees that we used to have but it didn't work too well though so we quit using it.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have electric around every pen but my kid pen. I dont like putting babies in it until they are a few months old and i have time to stand around and make sure they dont get tangled in it. We originally got electric because i had an escape artist. Now i will never go back. I love it we live on a very hilly piece of property and its very hard to fence with any sort of field fence. we use t-posts and wood ones at the corners. i use the turbo braid stuff rather then the tape or wire. I love it. One year we had part of a large pine tree fall on the fence. Nothing broke it just strwetched the wires. Wire would of broke. AS for the tape, it only has vertical lines in it. the braided stuff has vertical and horizontal wires in it. Which means if one line breaks it will pick up the charge an inch down the line. If one breaks in the tape that entire line is out.
    We have five lines around our does and seven around the bucks. never have had a problem.
    beth