electric fencing?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by whatknott, May 17, 2009.

1. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Has anyone had success with keeping goats in electric fencing? years ago I tried 5 strands and it worked for a little while, but then the goats just went through it.
    We have about an acre that our neighbor lets us use and we always put our mini horses up there, but one of them foundered in the middle of the winter (Yeah, if you know anything about founder, that shouldn't have happened!) so now we probably can't put her up in the field and she is such good buddies with the other two, she's going to go nuts without them. Trying to figure out a way without buying electric netting to do this - but probably not an easy solution. Can't be real permanent since it's not our property...

2. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    We have, and haven’t. :? You need to train your goats to respect it. Last year we had it up and the older goats stayed in after experiencing the shock. But, the little ones (3-9 months) ran right through it many times and breaking it. So, this year we just put up the regular panels. I personally like the panels better. There is no worry if they got out and are eating the lilac bushes, or ruining the garden. :)

3. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    are you talking about hog panels? It's just going to be so expensive to do a whole acre in hog panels!

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have 4 strands hotwire for a small pasture for my does...they stay in it.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you have to teach them that it is hot. So you want to put something yummy on the hot wire so when they touch it they get zapped.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

all we have is hotwire, except in the kid pen we have chainlink. the does havea five line fence the bucks have a seven line fence. The lines are about six inches apart for the bottem three, and then they gradually get further apart.
    beth

7. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    Yep, that is what I am talking about!

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Totally understand what you mean about the hog panels. I have an acre I need to cross-fence in hog panels. But the great thing about them is that they are easy to move, and easy to store if you decide you don't need them. Horse fencing is great, and may be a little cheaper, but it is a bear to roll back up again. That, and you have to make sure that it is really stretched tight, or the goats will rub onit or push through the bottom and get out.

Hog panels are easy for a one-woman operation. (hubby can't help much) Just set T-posts, wire the panels to it, and you are off. The only complaint I have about the panels is that they are very heavy. But you can drag one where you need it with a little bit of rope if you are weak. (Like me when my back is screaming) You can cut them down for gates with a grinder, or sawz-all. But the blades wear out fast on those.

There are a few helpful tricks to it of course, as with everything else involving livestock.

9. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    If it is temporary, you can always use the hog panels, just 6 or 8 and move them as they eat down the grass.

10. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    only problem, is that I would want to connect them to the shed area so they have some protection from weather elements and so I am limited on the area that I can do that then.
    I don't think my husband will be thrilled with the expense of hog panels for such a large area.
    Have tried a smaller area with some electric wire - some are staying in. but when it's starting to get dark, they scream their heads off because they want back with the rest of the herd!! hadn't thought about that problem -

11. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    We have our large pasture in electric fencing, it works well as long as the fence is working and not shorted out by something. :D The main thing is get a really high powered fence charger, goats take a lot to keep them in. :)