Electric net fencing blues

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Cornshloger, May 25, 2015.

1. Cornshloger

Cornshloger Junior Member

Howdy!
    Earlier this spring my neighbor friend lent me the use of her electric poultry net fence and charger. I successfully trained all my goats on it! Then about a month into using it one of my goats found if she kind of stepped on the fence she could knock it down and get out of it....and has ever since. If she is in on brand spanking new pasture she will just look at me and show me how she gets out! I'm thinking about getting electric tape like they use for horses and putting that 3/4 of the way up to maybe deter this bad habit? At the same time I don't want to keep sinking money into something that may not work anyway. I ended up buying my own charger and was on the verge of buying my own fencing, but thankfully I didn't and am still using my neighbors fence. Has anybody else had successful retraining of goats on electric? Thanks for any feedback!
    -Erin

2. I use electric netting exclusively,on our place. Even the Bucks don't test it. I think the charger is what makes the difference. I make sure to have as many joules as possible. I think one charger has one joule. For the buck pen. And for the does,.75. joules. It does pack a wallop

3. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I use the wire e fencing for my goats. Once they hit it, the stay away from it!

4. showme

showme Getting Started

Apr 28, 2015
    Western Ky
    I just went through fencing woes...not netting, but goats that basically didn't get too upset at the shock my fence gave them.

Advice here was to get a bigger charger. For $30 more, I stepped up to a 2 Joule charger. No one attempts to challenge the fence now.

I have 7 strand electric, so netting may require more joules, but mine is also in HEAVY brush.

5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    A bigger charger may be the key, or better grounding is another thing to look at. No matter how big the charger, if the ground is inadequate it will not shock well. Make sure you have enough ground rods, and sink them into moist soil. Even if you have to pour a bucket of water on the ground rods every day when go out to feed, so be it. Make sure there are no weeds, branches, or other objects that your fence could be grounding out on. You may also need to buy taller netting. I'm not familiar with the poultry fence, but if it's low enough for your goats to see over or jump, then they're more likely to try to knock it down since it doesn't look like much of a barrier.

Retraining is a lot harder than training. I've never had to do it myself, but I've heard that one good way is to hang tinfoil on the fence at intervals. The curious goats will go up to sniff it and get zapped right on the nose. Do this on a wet day and they'll really get a jolt! Some people even smear peanut butter on the foil to make sure the goats stop to sniff or lick it.

The worst part about a goat that gets out of the fence is that she can teach others to do it as well. In the end it might just be easier to get rid of this one goat since she may be hard to contain no matter what type of fencing you use.

6. SeventeenFarms

SeventeenFarms Active Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    I had a one time problem where it wasn't the shock, but that I let the net sag just enough that Ellen could jump it. I now use extra stakes in between the built in stakes where needed and that solved that.

I agree that it usually comes down to having enough charge and a good ground, and to be sure that the netting is not contacting anything that could ground it.

With the exception of Ellen jumping the sag once, I have had no other problems - yet!

kbt

7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I do this on the outside of the fence to train the coyotes :lol:

8. Cornshloger

Cornshloger Junior Member

Oh great, these are all good things to look into! I have been messing around with the grounding rod, I had no idea about keeping the area moist. I"ll have to go over my instruction manual for the charger. I got a solar charger, I can feel the shock and I don't like it but maybe it's now too weak for the goats to care?
    I'll keep at it and try the suggestions. I have so much great area for them to graze and browse on and I don't want to make permanent fences everywhere. Thanks for giving me the support to keep at it, I won't let those tricky goats win!
    -Erin

9. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Grounding is probably the #1 thing to look at when your electric fence is not hot enough. I live in a very dry climate, so I make a point to pour water on my ground rods every time I fill the water troughs in summer. It helps to keep the water tub near the ground rods for convenience and so I don't forget. You may also need more than one ground rod for your fencer. My horse fence uses three 6-foot ground rods placed 10 feet apart. My goat fences only use one 3-foot ground rod apiece. Look at the manual to see what your charger recommends.

Also make sure that your lead-in wire is well fastened to the ground rod. I like to use alligator clamps or some type of hose clamp--something that will bite into the metal a bit. Just wrapping the wire around the ground rod is often not adequate. Finally, buy a good electric fence tester that can tell you the voltage on the fence. If it's a light enough jolt for you to test it by hand, it's not hot enough for goats!

10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    If she is touching the fence before going over then there is still a chance she can be retrained with the improvements to grounding and charge mentioned above! However, act fast, because if she learns she can vault it without touching you will never retrain her. I had one that learned to vault...kept improving his height skills...it didn't end well for him.

11. MustBeeKiddin

MustBeeKiddin New Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Big charger! I use a 3 joule charger on my net fence (speedrite 3000).