The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use electric netting to contain their goats? I have some 4ft netting I originally got for poultry, but the goats would knock it right over or get their heads caught. The charger on it was solar, and it was a very weak shock. I'm moving my goats to an area now where I can have an AC charger, but I'm not sure which to get.

I was thinking of getting a Zareba 10mi low impedance charger: http://www.zarebasystems.com/store/electric-fence-chargers/eac10m-z

So, has anyone had luck with the netting, and if so, what kind of charger do you use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had a terrible terrible experience with netting. The goats would always get their heads and feet caught in it. And they wouldn't stay in.
The worst experience I ever had though was when one of my does got tangled up in it, my neighbours called me saying that one of my goats seemed to to be tangled in some wire or something, I went out there and my doe was so weak, she was just making little noises every time she got zapped, when I finally untangled her she was to weak to stand. If my neighbours hadn't called me I think I would have likely lost her.
Ever since then I haven't used it. I have only ever had one goat get tangled like that but that one time was enough.

I don't know maybe I was doing something wrong because I have heard a lot of people have had success with it...

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but I have been preparing to buy some. I have friends who have had great success keeping Nigerians with it. They (the friends, not the Nigerians) love the fencing because it is easily movable. I have other friends who contain a good sized herd of LaManchas and Sanaans with 4 strands of electric wire on fiberglass poles. They said it works great.

All the goats mentioned are disbudded, so no horns to contend with. They've also been trained that the fence is painful, so stay away!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CanucksStar-17, that sounds awful about your doe. Were your goats trained to it beforehand? My goats are disbudded, so hopefully that will help, but they definitely got tangled in it in the past when it was turned off, so I am concerned. As for the 4 strand wire, I'm pretty sure at least one of my does will just try to go through. Since I already have the netting, I may try it under close supervision for a while and see if they are trainable, but only if I can find a suitable charger.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have been using e-netting for a few years now. Premier, 9 strand, with the double spike poles, 48", with the prs50 solar charger. I have 4 boers, with horns, no problems. After the first shock they learned. After my first shock I learned pretty quick too. I dont know the particulars, but the fence tester usually tests out at 6-8000 volts. I also use it to power a hot wire on their pen, when they go in. I just take it from the fence and clip it to the pen hot wire lead.

I could see where a goat could get tangled in it if they were playing or fighting and was accidentally pushed into it. Anything could happen I guess, esp with goats. So far Ive had no problems.

I dont use it in any of the horse pastures, just in case a horse kicks or whatever and it gets a foot tangled.

I think my fencing is 120' long so it makes a big area for 4 goats so even with any pushing and shoving or running they have plenty of room inside and dont get too near the fence. I admit I do check on them often. But the e-fence is great cause I can move it and rotate it around.

kbt

·
Registered
184 Posts
Trained before hand for what exactly?
My goats are all disbudded as well. Looking back now though it was only the one goat that ever got stuck. She was older and was one of the dumbest goats I've ever had, we also found out two years later that she was blind in both eyes so her eyesight may or may not have been a problem then.

Like I said I've heard so many other people have had success with it so I'm really questioning now if it was the wire or the goat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts