Electrify the inside?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by billmac, Jul 20, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I have woven wire fences with sections for the boys and girls. I am going to run a hot wire about knee high around the inside of the fence to keep them off the fence.

If anyone does this, do you run a hot wire on the inside dividers that separate your different fenced in areas? This seems like a no brainer but it does make gates on the internal fencing more complicated.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Goats are pretty smart once they get the intial bite from the fence....after they've gotten hit from the fence, they will likely stay off the internal dividers as well.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    my goats are smart to.....hot lines work well ... if you keep them plugged in....when you unplug it for a while... and forget to plug it back in ....then after a while.. the goats test the line.. :shocked: ...that is when ....I see them...climbing on the fence :doh: ..trying to get the neighbors trees . :help: ..I plug in the line ...to find... no one is getting zapped???? I go check the fence... and low and behold... my goats have wrapped it ..several times......what's smarty pants.... :shocked: :doh:

When you are first training the goats to a hotline , make sure you watch them...they may get caught in it....and be prepared to unplug the line quickly... so they don't get shocked to bad.....Also... if you have little kids ...watch them very close.....they can get hung up....as well....depending on the voltage of the line.....the kids and or adults can die....if left tangled in it ...for to long.... :hug: After they learn it they are very cautious ...not to touch it....

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would run it on the dividers too. Goats are smart and they will test all points of the fence, if they find somewhere they wont get zapped they will remember. My doe pen is a five line electric. there was one day that the line that goes behind the kid pen down to the buck pens was touching the the chainlink grounding out my fence. Ruby tested the fence by the apple tree and didnt get much of a zap. I put her back in and watched her, she ran up to the apple tree and got out again. I put her in again, and she ran back to the same spot. She wasnt trying any other places because she knew she had gotten out by the apple tree and it didnt hurt.
    beth