The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if people that are in the deep South put out electrolytes for their goats. I know they really like them and will triple their water intake, at least, when adding a bucket of electrolyte water alongside the ACV and tap water. Is this needed for their health during hot weather or just more or less a "treat"?
I do give free choice minerals and a little kelp.

·
Fair-Haven
4,653 Posts
I like to do it in times of "heat stress" - high heat and humidity. It keeps them from becoming dehydrated, and developing problems.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I only put them out if I see signs of dehydration start but I make sure they're kept cool during the super hot times. For Oklahoma that's July and August. More August lol but I make sure they have shade and a breeze or fan and last year I even put a mister out for them to go by to cool off. They did too. A sprinkler would make mine run but the mister they seemed to like

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like to do it in times of "heat stress" - high heat and humidity. It keeps them from becoming dehydrated, and developing problems.
Not cool today, 87*, low humidity, 59%. What in your area is high heat and humidity?

·
Fair-Haven
4,653 Posts
Ohio has humidity out the ying yang - right around 80% now but only 78 degrees. When it gets in the mid to high 80's with high humidity - i put out both fresh and fresh with electrolyte water.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last year we hit 116 degrees, like 90% humidity. That day had NO wind. But anything over 100 degrees is hot to me
I would hate those days. We have about 30 days a year above 100*, it is usually the humidity that will get you down, June and July usually 95 to 100% .
Bucket of horse electrolytes from Tractor Supply ok?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the answers @goatblessings and @ksalvagno.
Will use them. As I asked in previous reply, are the horse electrolytes at Tractor Supply ok?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the repeat, I was typing when you answered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts