The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm taking one of my wethers, Japan, to school to show the Kindergarten-2nd graders. I really want to turn it into some kind of science lesson or something, but not sure what to do. It doesn't even have to be science, I just want it to be more than "hey, come pet my goat." Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You can talk about ruminant digestion. Make sure to talk about their poops. Kids that age LOVE to talk about poop. Talk about how they have a special stomach where they keep a special kind of puke that they chew all day long and how their poops are mostly just like tiny horse poops and are made up of chewed and compressed grass.

Kids will be riveted and ruminant digestion is actually really interesting and science-y. :)

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
Oh my gosh! I do this every year with the nigerian babies! My class loves the babies! We don't do it for any science project or anything, just for fun! But if course, you know it will be gross when the poop. Lol

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my gosh! I do this every year with the nigerian babies! My class loves the babies! We don't do it for any science project or anything, just for fun! But if course, you know it will be gross when the poop. Lol
Yep, planing on bringing in the babies in the spring ;) And yeah, I can imagine the pooping already! :lol:

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
I have an idea! The project could be taking care your pets. Tell them what you feed them, how often you feed them, give them water, how you give them lots of love to him. Just an idea.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an idea! The project could be taking care your pets. Tell them what you feed them, how often you feed them, give them water, how you give them lots of love to him. Just an idea.
That's actually what I'm planning on doing. I'm going to make a PowerPoint type thing and put some videos on there of me taking care of my goats. I'll bring in some grain and hay for the to see, and then I'm going to tie in the life cycle because that's what they're talking about in science right now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My wife has a preschool, and poop is always the topic. Some of the kids been with her for three or four years and still point out when the goats poop. We have let her classes help bottle feeding and also talk about them not having top teeth and as long as you don't put your hand near the rear of your mouth they can't really hurt you. And also explain about their hooves. So much to teach kids especially if none of them are in 4h. Have fun the kids will love them

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have kids over a lot and it's always:

"Is that their poop?"
"Where do they poop?"
"That goat is pooping!"
"Why does the poop look like that?"
"That goat is pooping and walking at the same time! My dog can't do that!"
"What do you do with the poop?"
"My dog eats poop!"

So yeah....poop. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.