The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Goat Momma
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just looked up the soil in my area and have a few questions.
Our calcium to phosphorus ratio in our soil is Calcium min:0.0227 max:3.019
Phosphorus min:0.016 max:0.035

Copper in our county is min: 4.059 max:17.042

How much copper does a goat need?

We had an intact male die from u.c. At 6 months old, we are beginners still and hadn't even heard of the dangers of u.c. Until it happend to one of our goats. We were feeding grain more than we should have around the time that it happend, that was a year ago. We have not had another case of u.c. Troubles on our farm before then, or since then. Does the ratio look bad or ok in our area? The ratio should be 2:1 I believe. What exactly causes the stones? The phosphorus too high or the calcium? We've not been feeding any grain at all this year since our goats have a huge pasture. But we will be supplementing here soon since we are getting back into the colder months. They will have plenty of hay too. What should I look for on the feed bags, this year I'm more concerned because a friend of mine gave us 2 wethers and I do not want to go through u.c. Troubles again, that was pretty heart breaking.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i would just get some ammonium chloride and not have to worry about it. what was the selenium in your area, that also an important element.

·
14,615 Posts
:shrug: I have no clue what those numbers mean.
But I will say this. There's not enough copper or other minerals added to feed to make one iota of a difference.
Loose minerals are the best way if you don't copper bolus.
The minerals we get has 2000ppm copper.
As for UC you can get feed with ac already mixed in. It is called medicated feed.
As for your boys getting UC, so sorry.

·
Goat Momma
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would just get some ammonium chloride and not have to worry about it. what was the selenium in your area, that also an important element.
Our selenium is min:0.10 max:0.25 very low

We use manna pro loose goat mineral
It has selenium min: 12 parts per million, max: 14.4 ppm.
Copper min: 1350ppm max: 1675ppm
Calcium min:16% max 19%
Phos. Is at 8%

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
You can test it with a simple goldfish tank test strip from the pet store. Rain water is usually acidic. Soil PH kits can be bought at a garden center. PH will tell you what minerals they are absorbing the quickest. The wheel shows interactions.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts